Beaglebone Build not booting

<BTW I’ve posted this already to eewiki@digikey.com but it seems to have disappeared into the ether…>

I’m trying to make a new card following a rebuild due to a change made to “board-am335xevm.c”. I think I’ve followed the instructions at http://www.eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone#BeagleBone-FAQ but all I get at reboot is the penguin on the top left corner. My board is a Beaglebone A6a and I’m developing in Ubuntu 12.10 on VMWare Player.

I did all the steps exactly as the website down to

git checkout origin/am33x-v3.8 -b tmp

which I didn’t execute ‘cos I just want to stay with the old version 3.2 until I know more about what I’m doing.

``

Next, I followed the Debian Squeeze 6.0.7 instructions and ignored Wheezy & Ubuntu.

Fdisk –l gave me /dev/sdb so I used that as DISK in the export and followed the rest of the instructions for the SD card setup.

I then mounted the partitions using /dev/sdb and installed the bootloaders.

My uEnv.txt is

#optargs=

mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ro

mmcrootfstype=ext4 rootwait fixrtc

console=ttyO2,115200n8

dvimode=640x480MR-16@60

#To boot old v3.2.x based kernel enable: (BeagleBone only)

uenvcmd=run loaduimage; run mmc_classic_boot

I then install the kernels but skip the part relating to the “Device Tree v3.6.x++”

Copy Kernel dtbs (Device Tree v3.6.x++):

sudo mkdir -p /media/boot/dtbs/

sudo tar xofv ./linux-dev/deploy/${kernel_version}-dtbs.tar.gz -C /media/boot/dtbs/

|

• |

I do not do the part labelled “Networking: Using a shared SD card with Multiple BeagleBone:”

I skip the Ubuntu serial set up instructions.

What am I doing wrong? I can’t find any guidance on google. It seems to work for everyone else?

Regards,

James

<BTW I’ve posted this already to eewiki@digikey.com but it seems to have disappeared into the ether…>

Laughs, well i’m on the road, so that won’t be answering that one till i get to the hotel…

I’m trying to make a new card following a rebuild due to a change made to “board-am335xevm.c”. I think I’ve followed the instructions at http://www.eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone#BeagleBone-FAQ but all I get at reboot is the penguin on the top left corner. My board is a Beaglebone A6a and I’m developing in Ubuntu 12.10 on VMWare Player.

So you “changed” something too and it doesn’t boot… Umm…

I did all the steps exactly as the website down to

git checkout origin/am33x-v3.8 -b tmp

which I didn’t execute ‘cos I just want to stay with the old version 3.2 until I know more about what I’m doing.

That’s fine, so you used “am33x-v3.2” branch right?? (as you never stated i have to ask…)

``

Next, I followed the Debian Squeeze 6.0.7 instructions and ignored Wheezy & Ubuntu.

Fdisk –l gave me /dev/sdb so I used that as DISK in the export and followed the rest of the instructions for the SD card setup.

I then mounted the partitions using /dev/sdb and installed the bootloaders.

My uEnv.txt is

#optargs=

mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ro

mmcrootfstype=ext4 rootwait fixrtc

console=ttyO2,115200n8

dvimode=640x480MR-16@60

dvimode isn’t going going to do anything for the am335x target…

#To boot old v3.2.x based kernel enable: (BeagleBone only)

uenvcmd=run loaduimage; run mmc_classic_boot

I then install the kernels but skip the part relating to the “Device Tree v3.6.x++”

Copy Kernel dtbs (Device Tree v3.6.x++):

sudo mkdir -p /media/boot/dtbs/

sudo tar xofv ./linux-dev/deploy/${kernel_version}-dtbs.tar.gz -C /media/boot/dtbs/

|

• |

I do not do the part labelled “Networking: Using a shared SD card with Multiple BeagleBone:”

I skip the Ubuntu serial set up instructions.

Why did you do that? unless you dvi/cape works, you might just want to do that…

What am I doing wrong? I can’t find any guidance on google. It seems to work for everyone else?

The “DIRECTIONS” works as is,…

Regards,

Laughs, well i’m on the road, so that won’t be answering that one till i get to the hotel…

So you “changed” something too and it doesn’t boot… Umm…

PS: since you see the “penguin” it’s booting, care to “pastebin.com” your actual serial boot log.

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

"I skip the Ubuntu serial set up instructions.
Why did you do that? unless you dvi/cape works, you might just want to do that…

I skip the Ubuntu instructions all the way down because I’m following the Debian instructions.

Regards,
James

Ah i see now that you did point that out early in the your email… I had completely ignored that when replying line by line…

please “pastebin.com” your serial boot log and we can go from there…

Regards,

Thanks Robert.

Being new to this, I’ve since discovered (by trial & error) that I don’t need to build the card from scratch but can just write the new build to an existing, working image.

That works for me right now.

Regards,
James