Beaglebone controlling a Nuand BladeRF

Hi,
Initially I developed and have successfully run code on a Dell laptop running ubuntu 14.04LTS that works with the bladeRF over USB. The bladeRF uses the 115 FPGA and is powered from the USB connection. I then installed the same version of ubuntu on to a Beaglebone (not Beaglebone black), and successfully loaded (sudo apt-get install) bladerf and libbladerf-dev. Using gcc, I can compile and link the same source code that successfully runs with the bladeRF on the Dell laptop and do not have any compilation or linking errors.

I boot up the Beaglebone (it is powered from a 5v, 2A supply) and ssh to it from the laptop. Its USB port is powering the bladeRF. bladeRF-cli -i runs on the Beaglbone. However, when I then try to execute my program on the BeagleBone I now get the error message “Failed to open device: Operation timed out” and if I then try bladeRF-cli -i, I get the same error message. Resetting both the Beaglebone and bladeRF returns me to where I can run the bladeRF command line interface but Failed to open device error message always occurs if I try to talk to the bladeRF under control of my code.

If I ssh in to the bladeRF and run dmsg I get the following snippet:

[ 1065.756546] —[ end trace f563c3b8e9c0222e ]—
[ 1065.891909] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using musb-hdrc
[ 1066.432034] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using musb-hdrc
[ 1066.971953] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using musb-hdrc
[ 1067.501938] usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using musb-hdrc

The same situation occurs regardless of whether I power the bladeRF from an external 5v supply or power it from USB. The same situation also occurs whether or not I use a powered USB hub connected to the BeaglBone. So this seems to be an issue with the USB driver in Ubuntu 14.04 on the BeagleBone.

Has anyone else run in to this issue and resolved it? Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks,
Ray