Beaglebone /dev/ttyO1-O5 missing

I burned an SD from the latest xz file last night for the BeagleBone and /dev/ttyO1-O5 are missing. Does anyone know how to get those back? Does it have to go into the devicetree fragment I’ve put together to set the pin mux for UART1 somehow?

Thank you,
Nick

I think you will need to do pinmux in kernel (configure the pin to work as a UART), and /dev/ttyOx will appear, I have done this before.

I had done the pinmux first with a device tree overlay and then when I fired up minicom I found that the device entry didn’t exist. After a whole bunch of fiddling this afternoon I got it working. I had to pull down the kernel files and modify am335x-bone-common.dtsi to enable UART2 (ttyO1) then recompile am335x-bone.dtb, stick that new file in /boot and reboot. After reboot the device node for /dev/ttyO1 was there. All UARTS were disabled by default in the am33xx.dtsi from TI.

Nick

Hi Aaron,
I wrote up a post about it.

http://blog.pignology.net/2013/05/getting-uart2-devttyo1-working-on.html

Nick

Nick, thanks for the post. Should help a lot of people. I’m in the process of moving my security-oriented Linux distro, The Deck, over to the BBB and I do have some devices using TTY02 to deal with.