Beaglebone does not turn on

We are not totally sure. Possibly ESD or improper sequncing of externally powered circuitry…HArd to say as we are not present during the failure scenario, just after the fact witnesses.

We have not seen a lot failure of any kind on this board, but we have seen several instances of this type of issue in the failures we have seen. What we have seen is that the PMIC is shutting down during power up due ot excessive current. That is why you are seeing what you are seeing. The PMIC working fine and doing what it was designed to do.

Do not connect any voltages direct!. It will basically finish off your board. Power sequencing is critical and if you bypass it or leave a voltage on without adhering to it, you will end up blowing the processor. Do not connect anything and bypass the PMIC.

I suggest you look at the external things connected and make sure you do not violate the power sequencing by generating the voltage externally from 5V and not tying it to the 3.3V for control. In other words, follow the power sequencing.

There is no easy solution. Once damaged it is not possible to crack open chips and fix them.

Request and RMA and we can take it from there.

Gerald.

Hello

I have the same problem as Mauro. when I connect board power adapter, then the power led blinks once and nothing happens. I was using UART 4 when my board went down (This was my second BeagleBone black that died while using UART4, but first board was at least booting up, then in 30 sec overheating and switching off). I have double-checked all connection, and voltage does not exceed 3.3V. I have UART connected with the Microchip MCP2003 LIN transceiver. It was working fine until the board decided to stop working, the worst thing now is that it’s second board that died and I don’t know exact cause why it keeps destroying the boards.

No voltage can be applied to any pin when the board is not powered. Looking at your schematic, I would say that it is designed to blow up the processor unless the 12V supply come sup after the 3,3V and goes down before the 3.3V rail…

Gerald

Hi, I am using Beaglebone black. It does not boot if I power it up using the miniUSB or adapter. The power led just flashes for a moment and then it goes off. If I press the power button it is just the same: a short flash of the LED, then silence. This thing happened while a GPIO pin was connected to base of transistor via 10k resistor, we were testing the GPIO pins.

Searching on BBB forums, I decipher, it means that an excess current flow was detected and the PMIC has shut down. Is there any way to turn it on?

No. You only option is an RMA.

Gerald