[beaglebone] Ubuntu 12.04/11.10 not Booting

Hey all,

I just received a new batch of Bones and I wanted to flash on Ubuntu as I had my previous ones. I have tried 12.04 and 11.10 and neither one of them will boot, all I see on the serial screen is “CCCCCCCCCC”.

I quickly grabbed an Angstrom image and xz’d it to the same SD, and it boots up fine and runs right away.

Has anyone run into this problem before? The MD5’s match on the Ubuntu images I am downloading, and I’m using the ./setup_sd script like I have in the past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MLO not being found on the FAT partition will make the boot ROM look
for loading over the serial port, making "CCCCC".

Not sure what's wrong with the Ubuntu images. Where'd you get the
Ubuntu images from? I can test.

-Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I tested them from here:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu

I tried both the latest and the March 29th builds from 12.04 and 11.10. I would really appreciate it if you tested it. Thanks!

Just downloaded and booted [1] without issue.

[1]:
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/precise/ubuntu-12.04-r1-minimal-armhf.tar.xz

Sorry, can't confirm any problems.
Are any error messages coming up when writing the image to the SD
card? Are you waiting for the sync to complete before removing the
card? Maybe RCN has some advice?

-Andrew

Ok are you using the setup_sd.sh script or just zcat/xz’ing it to your MMC? I’m downloading that image now and I’ll try again.

Script

So… can a see your terminal log from when you ran the script.

Other helpful things would be host os, fdisk version, parted version, etc…

Regards,

Embarassingly enough (and potentially useful?), although there were no errors, when I did a scrollback to copy and paste to here I realized that the wget to grab the newest boot image failed. It failed because this particular machine I use wasn’t connected to the internet. I popped an ethernet cable in, re-ran the SD card setup script, it downloaded the newest boot image, and everything worked flawlessy.

Sorry for the all the work guys, I honestly didn’t realize that was the reason why it worked in the past for me, but on this batch didn’t work.