Beaglebone with LCD won't run gnome anymore after update.

Quick update: I have confirmed that the latest image of Armstrong is driving the screen fine (including the touch), but as soon as you try to do a opkg upgrade and reboot; it will reboot in console without launching the UI. I can’t figure out which package of the many that update, is causing the issue. Sorry that I can’t be too much of a help in this.

I assume that this is expected thou, since nobody seems to be surprised :slight_smile: After the update I am able to run X server with startx, but gnome won’t start anymore. I don’t mind too much, since it is almost useless with a lcd4 cape (the resolution is too small, the windows does not fit the screen, and I don’t see any way to modify that); but if I attach the DVI cape I would like to start the interface, so eventually this is something that could bother.

On a side note, is there any windows manager that would run nicely on the lcd4 cape? In that case I may have to install another WM and pick at launch the right one for the LCD or the DVI cape.

Thanks!

>From: beagleboard@googlegroups.com [beagleboard@googlegroups.com] on behalf of Fulvio C [fulviocervone@gmail.com]
>Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 5:00 AM
>To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
>Subject: [beagleboard] Re: Beaglebone with LCD won’t run gnome anymore after update.

Quick update: I have confirmed that the latest image of Armstrong is driving the screen fine (including the >touch), but as soon as you try to do a opkg upgrade and reboot; it will reboot in console without launching >the UI. I can’t figure out which package of the many that update, is causing the issue. Sorry that I can’t be too >much of a help in this.>
I assume that this is expected thou, since nobody seems to be surprised :slight_smile: After the update I am able to run X >server with startx, but gnome won’t start anymore. I don’t mind too much, since it is almost useless with a lcd4 >cape (the resolution is too small, the windows does not fit the screen, and I don’t see any way to modify that); >but if I attach the DVI cape I would like to start the interface, so eventually this is something that could >bother.

On a side note, is there any windows manager that would run nicely on the lcd4 cape? In that case I may >have to install another WM and pick at launch the right one for the LCD or the DVI cape.

Thanks!

Probably the easiest way to diagnose issues where something changes on the filesystem via opkg is to use a System Integrity Verification (SIV) system such as A.I.D.E. (http://aide.sourceforge.net/). SIVs are typically used for intrusion detection and prevention, they build a database of all files on the system and calculate a cryptographic checksum for each file; during subsequent scans, any modifications to the filesystem are identified during the scan.

This can be done directly on the BeagleBone itself or alternatively on a second Linux PC by mounting the Angstrom filesystem pre and post opkg upgrade and running an integrity check before and after the update takes place.

I’ve used this in the past to identify issues with Xen VMs but haven’t yet compiled it for ARM; it is on my proverbial todo list to document for the BeagleBone but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Thanks for the reply Gregor.

I will give a try with AIDE and see what happens. Never heard of SIV, it is really interesting!

I am a bit rusty on the linux X side; there should be a file that has the config for the X server right? (Forgot the name, I just remember that should be in the home dir) Should I check if that file is modified?

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:11 PM
To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Re: Beaglebone with LCD won't run gnome anymore after update.

Thanks for the reply Gregor.

I will give a try with AIDE and see what happens. Never heard of SIV, it is really interesting!

I am a bit rusty on the linux X side; there should be a file that has the config for the X server right? (Forgot the name, I just remember that should be in the home dir) >Should I check if that file is modified?

I posted instructions on using A.I.D.E. to the forum earlier this morning on this, that should be enough to get you going. The config file used for X11 depends on the X server that you are running, typically it's /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/X11/Xserver if my memory serves me

Yes, you would use A.I.D.E. to find the differences between the initial filesystem and the opkg upgraded filesystem. In a production environment you would probably want to create your own Linux distro with dedicated package servers that you control; that way only updates that you push to the package servers would be applied to the filesystem during opkg upgrades.

Thanks a bunch! Will give a try this weekend; got a lot of work to do before I can start to work on this project :slight_smile: