BeagleV™ update

A quick update - BeagleBoard.org is currently working on two new RISC-V-based boards which will launch at or around the time of Embedded World 2022.

Both boards use different SoC vendors than our initial RISC-V prototype, which was used for a limited beta development program earlier this year. The specific name for each of the new boards is yet to be announced, but they will be launched under the BeagleV™ brand. To clarify, BeagleV™ is the BeagleBoard.org Foundation’s brand for RISC-V-based platforms and is not a specific board.

I will post here when more news is ready to share. Thank you for your interest!

16 Likes

That is awesome!
Looking forward test/promote them.

Maybe its possible to tell already if at least one of those two boards would be compatible with the beaglebone pinout. I would like to start developing (simple) capes for some custom use case . I could then start now with BeagleBoard.org - Capes , test them on a beaglebone black and would later have to customize the software to run on RISC-V instead of having to start over the whole hardware process of creating the cape.

This could be exciting. Are you moving your announcement/launch date to follow the pushed back date for EW? (This announcement was after your post here.)

Hi

3 months on - do you have any news to share regarding a RISC-V SBC (hopefully with an open sourced chip design)? Something with a bootable OS?

Is RISC-V past the ‘suitable only for Devs’ phase yet?

1 Like

Hello!

I’m interested in incorporating a BeagleV SBC into my research. I’m quite interested in learning more about the current status of this project. Thanks!

What’s the word on this, a year later?

Well, we have prototypes of another BeagleV board, but we’ve become pretty shy of talking about anything publicly until we can go into mass production. As you know, this year has been difficult to get a good supply of components. Anyway, we are continuing to work on things behind the scenes and look forward to talking publicly about what we are up to "really soon now"™.

6 Likes

Could we expect that we could get a standardized instruction set rather than pre-standard ones like that in c906/910 cores?

In my recent explorations of CPU design, I decided I wanted to learn more about RISC-V. I picked up a RISC-V board from Seeed Studio, but support for it leaves me so far unable to do so much as “hello world.” So I started looking for alternatives, and looked harder at Beagle. Would love to get my hands on something! Hopefully your macOS-on-arm64 support will be better than the last several things I’ve tried (RISC-V, Altera FPGA, Atmel CPLD).

Seems best choice for this is visionfive 2 now…(JH7110)

1 Like

the 7110 looks nice. but as it stands the current bulds dont work well. and they are resterting drivers from scratch for 6.2

2 Likes

StarFive is working very actively to get the JH7110 into the mainline kernel. I have been monitoring a regularly updated JH7110 upstream status for their VisionFive 2 SBC since November 2022.

1 Like