Blew up my BBB

Like a complete asshole, I let bare solder wire drag over my powered board. It's dead.

Is there any hope of getting it repaired, so that I may get at the contents of the eMMC? It holds a lot of my work the past month trying to get all my sh*t working with any 4.x kernel. I hate to start, well, not from scratch, but not have the record of where I left things.

I would think that your best bet (not the cheapest solution, but most likely to yield results fast), is to buy another good BBB, then give that new one and the bad one to someone that has BGA rework and re-balling capability, and move the eMMC from the bad one to the new one. If the old eMMC survived the “event”, then it should come up immediately.
I don’t know if you could ask CircuitCo to do that for you.

Since you can buy a new BBB for the price of one-half-hour of repair shop time, I doubt if it is worth recovering the rest of the abused BBB hardware, for anything other than very simple repairs.

— Graham

I would think that your best bet (not the cheapest solution, but most likely to yield results fast), is to buy another good BBB, then give that new one and the bad one to someone that has BGA rework and re-balling capability, and move the eMMC from the bad one to the new one. If the old eMMC survived the "event", then it should come up immediately.
I don't know if you could ask CircuitCo to do that for you.

Since you can buy a new BBB for the price of one-half-hour of repair shop time, I doubt if it is worth recovering the rest of the abused BBB hardware, for anything other than very simple repairs.

Yeah, that seems like the best approach. I'll see if I can rebuild what I did before doing all that, though.

Thanks!

Next time use an SD card much easier to transfer to a non defunct BBB.

If the goal is to recover data, it might be easier to get the eMMC mounted on
an adapter board (instead of risking another BeagleBone) so it can be read
from a PC or another card reader.

Or for the really adventureous - remove the eMMC and do a dead wiring to a
disassembled uSD to SD adapter. Only caveat is this is probally riskier as far
as data is concerned.

Just request an RMA. Note that you want to save the eMMC contents. They should be able to handle that. There is no need to replace the eMMC. They just need to be sure and not re-flash it.

Gerald

Thanks, Gerald, that's awesome. I'll try that.

Erm...where do I send the request? Element 14?

Well, if you bought it from Element 14, well, I am not sure they can save the eMMC. We can. But, you bought it from Element 14 so you need to ask them what they are capable of doing.

Gerald

Honestly, I've bought several from various places (Digikey, Adafruit, Sparkfun, etc).

Who is "we?"

Honestly, I've bought several from various places (Digikey, Adafruit, Sparkfun, etc).

"Important! If your board has the text "element14" on it or was "Made
in China" or "Made in PRC", please visit this link instead of
completing the RMA form."

Who is "we?"

we = circuitco..

The bbb's one of his many children..

Regards,

We is BeagleBoard.org.

rma@beagleboard.org

Gerald

Thanks!