Canadian? I'm confused.

Alex Behrens
Next Generation Consulting
Owner
WWW: www.ng-cc.com
Phone: 651.329.4187

Canadian? I'm confused.

For example, a toolchain built on a x86 linux machine, that runs on a
windows machine, that compiles code for an armv7a machine .....

http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_264.html

Philip

I'm not doing anything with Windows. I'm using a Ubuntu desktop for development. From time to time I have to use a Window desktop in the field for access via serial.

Thanks for the reference it could come in handy.

Alex Behrens
Owner

(how do I keep Gmail from top-posting…)

Are you using Windows as a development host? …OK, now we are just messing with you.

The Canadian reference is an ancient GNU anachronism - GNU is full of them.

Any time you are not compiling on the deployed target (GNU calls this the ‘host system’) (i.e. Beagleboard), you are cross-compiling. …even if you use the same type CPU and type OS on the development host (GNU calls this the ‘build system’) (i.e. IA32 Ubuntu building for IA32 Moblin).

This makes the topic relevant to a wider audience. …basically everyone not compiling on the Beagleboard itself.

At one time building a specific release of the Linux kernel was very dependent on a specific version of GCC. Using a newer or older version of GCC would not necessarily work. Much more strict ANSI compliance in GCC 4 caused lots of bad code to be flushed out. …but you really don’t hear of folks compiling the kernel with anything other than GNU.

Userland is a different story. Just as you may compile an Ada, BASIC or FORTRAN program, you may also use newer versions of GCC to compile C and C++ code. Heck, you can even use the commercial Intel C++ compiler…

The Pandora project uses CodeSourcery 2007q3 to build the kernel, but uses gcc 4.3.1 to compile everything else.

Which leads us to the heart of the problem.

Any time you are NOT compiling on the target you must use a compiler system with compatible shared libraries. Just getting a GNU GCC compiler won’t do the trick.

I have a customer requirement to build in Windows as well. I can get along pretty well with CS 2007q3 but get bit by the shared libraries issue. Even though I use ‘-Bstatic’, the networking code insists on dragging in shared libraries.

What makes the CodeSourcery cross-compilers appealing to me is that they have the same release (which I need for the kernel) compiled for both Linux host and Windows host. This has the added benefit of providing the same ARM shared libraries on both build systems.

One of these days I am going to build all of OpenEmbedded with CodeSourcery 2007q3 and be done with it…

• dan

Ok makes sense.

Well the program I’m trying to compile will only run in an X-windows setting so I need to put a new distro on my sd card and try running a full blown beagle board install to see if I can set that one damn exposure rate parameter I need and then return to console for further testing. This will be fun…

Ill either have to find a hdmi to dvi cable or try to setup vnc server somehow on the bb…

Alex Behrens
Owner