Bone LCD3 Ubuntu Support

Hallo Robert,

thank You very much for Your very quick response :slight_smile:

I am looking foreward to hear from You and to learn more about my mistakes I made with these board :slight_smile:

regads
Juergen

Ah, it's just the backlight:

sudo i2cset -f -y 1 0x24 0x07 0x09
sudo i2cset -f -y 1 0x24 0x08 0x60

tested with:
ubuntu@omap:~$ uname -a
Linux omap 3.2.23-psp18 #1 Fri Jul 27 20:46:04 UTC 2012 armv7l armv7l
armv7l GNU/Linux

Sorry, no idea if the touchscreen works yet..

Regards,

Hallo Robert,

thank You very much for Your help :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It works fine ā€¦ but the touchscreen does not work yetā€¦

Best regards
Jurgen

Thanks! That got mine up and running too.

Jake

Hallo Jake,

my touchscreen is now working.
Please have a look at the following linkā€¦

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/beagleboard/xyT84cDwEsQ

After changing my /etc/modules the touchscreen works.

best regards

Juergen

thanks for the information! applying the pgp20 update and then the backlight changes I now see that the 3" LCD is working. excellent news. Adding the extra values to the /etc/modules now gives me touchscreen too. Iā€™m nearly very happy. Why only nearly?

All I see on the screen is the word ā€œLogā€. Iā€™m assuming this is saying ā€œLogin:ā€. The resolution must be set too high. How do I change this so that it resizes for the 3" LCD?

After a looooong break from doing anything BeagleBone related, I decided to give this a try once more. I found that I had to plug a usb host connector into the BeagleBone, then plug a keyboard and mouse in to this. I was then able to press ctrl+alt+F1 and I get a command line console that I can log into and use the BeagleBone and LCD3 cape directly.

Whilst this still doesnā€™t explain how I can change the resolution on ctrl+alt+F7 (which Iā€™d still like to know how to do, if anyone knows how to do this?), it does mean that I can successfully use the LCD3 cape with the BeagleBone and Ubuntu.

I also found that the latest Angstrom image now recognises and boots up nicely with the LCD3 capeā€¦ but I want to stick with Ubuntu.

As I wanted to get this working with Ubuntu, I finally figured it out and thought Iā€™d share, just incase another newbie like me wants to do the same thing.

Okay, from ctrl+alt+f1, login and sudo apt-get install xinput-calibrator (youā€™ll need this later).

to auto-turn on the LCD screen backlight, sudo nano rc.local - add the following two lines before the exit 0
sudo i2cset -f -y 1 0x24 0x07 0x09

sudo i2cset -f -y 1 0x24 0x08 0x60

then sudo nano /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf - change the first line to be:
autologin=ubuntu

then sudo shutdown -r now

after the reboot, the LCD screen will then boot directly into the LXDM GUI, press the ā€˜startā€™ (?) icon, bottom left to get the menu, select Preferences and youā€™ll see ā€˜Calibrate Touchscreenā€™, press it and calibrate.

All should now be good. even after a complete unplug and restart everything works again as it should. hope it helps someone else.

ā€¦Now time to get GStreamer and FBI working :wink:

Will this work with the LCD7 cape?