Cannot boot from microsd

Hello,
I am trying to boot from microsd.

1. I have prepared an 8gb sdhc, tried with asterisk image and with debian image from beagleboard site
  2. I have checked that sd contains boot images
  3. I have attached beagleboard power cable keeping user/boot button pressed

It boots always internal angstrom image

What can I do? How can I debug?

Thanks,
Mario

Hello,
I am trying to boot from microsd.

1. I have prepared an 8gb sdhc, tried with asterisk image and with debian image from beagleboard site
  2. I have checked that sd contains boot images
  3. I have attached beagleboard power cable keeping user/boot button pressed

It boots always internal angstrom image

What can I do? How can I debug?

Update u-boot on the eMMC

Regards,
John

Thanks for reply but how can I update u-boot on the emmc? Reading documentation it seems that I must boot from an sd to update emmc and so I cannot…

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black

Thanks for reply but how can I update u-boot on the emmc? Reading documentation it seems that I must boot from an sd to update emmc and so I cannot…

When you press the boot button as you power the board the BBB will use u-boot from the SDCard. You can update u-boot on the eMMC by using a SDCard with the flash image (replaces everything on the eMMC) or you can boot with the SDCard, mount the eMMC boot partition and replace the u-boot with a simple cp command.

Regards,
John

Thanks again,
but I would like to make it clear that pressing the boot button has no effect for me. It boots always amstrong linux from emmc.
Why???

Thanks again,
but I would like to make it clear that pressing the boot button has no effect for me. It boots always amstrong linux from emmc.
Why???

Because you don’t have a valid SDCard. Either there is something wrong with the SDCard you are using (incompatible, old, faulty, etc) or you haven’t created the SDCard correctly. These are the instructions that work best:

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black

Regards,
John

I don´t know if image writter does this or not, but make sure your SD Card is formatted as FAT and it has a MBR (Master Boot Record) scheme

by the way is possible that you get out of eMMC space if trying to flash Debian image into a 2GB Flash Board, which Rev Board are you using?

What I did in that case, I´ve installed the Debian Image into the self SD CARD to run it from there, let me know if yoy what to know little bit more about this

So,
I have bought some samsung and kingston premium 8gb sdhc cards.
I have downloaded the images and followed official documentation.
I have not used eewiki documentation because I do not understand it.
The boot from external sd does not work at all for me.
I would like now to understand at least on which device can I read the sd card.
I see a /dev/mmcblk0 but it seems it is mapped to internal emmc memory.
Am I wrong?
Thanks again,
Mario

Are you sure you’re following this steps?:

1. Insert SD Card with BBB Powered Off
  2. Press and Hold USER/BOOT Button
  3. Turn On Beagle Bone
  4. When LEDs start flashing (may be after 3 seconds of pushing Power Button) you should be able to release Boot Button

I have been writting the downloaded images to the SD Cards using Win32DiskImager