Cannot ping beaglebone from Windows XP using hostname

Hi,

it sounds so crazy but I did not find any solution…

My network contains a DD-WRT router as a DHCP server, working pretty fine and distributing IP addresses to all requestors nicely.
I also have a native Ubuntu computer installed, and several Windows XP machines.

When I connect a new beaglebone to the network, it gets an IP address from DHCP, and from the Linux PC, I can immediately ping it using the installed hostname, for example"beaglebone".
This does not work on any of the Windows XP machines. They only find the beaglebone with it’s IP address. This is annoying, as I often change the beaglebone board, they always have a different IP address.
As a crosscheck, if I ping the native Ubuntu machine from XP, it finds it by its name, so “ping nativelinux” works.
Also the reverse path from the beaglebone to the XP machine works.

I tracked down with wireshark and the problem seems to be the way how Windows XP requests the IP address. Despite this, there are no name resolving issues in my network, anything else works pretty fine.

Any idea what I have to change on either the XP machine or what to install on the beaglebones in order to get that working?

Thanks, Günter

Hi,

My network contains a DD-WRT router as a DHCP server, working pretty fine
and distributing IP addresses to all requestors nicely.
I also have a native Ubuntu computer installed, and several Windows XP
machines.

When I connect a new beaglebone to the network, it gets an IP address from
DHCP, and from the Linux PC, I can immediately ping it using the installed
hostname, for example"beaglebone".

Did you try to connect to "beaglebone.local" ?
If this doesn't work I recommend you some reading about the avahi-daemon

HTH
Dieter

The article here was a big motivation to look after the problem futheron… and I found the solution:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/330395/dns-problem-nslookup-works-ping-doesnt

So:

nslookup beaglebone => works
ping beaglebone => does not work
ping beaglebone. => works (with a dot at the end!!!)

and now also putty, if accessing beaglebone. (with a dot at the end) works pretty fine!

I can live with that.

Cheers, Günter