Cannot SSH into BBB (or access 192.168.7.2 web page) from Linux

Forgive me if this issue is resolved elsewhere, I’ve looked but couldn’t find a solution.

I have a BeagleBone Black, running the latest BeagleBone Debian distribution.

I had been running Debian Wheezy 7.8.0 on a desktop, and had been able to ssh into the BBB from the Gnome desktop terminal.
However, I recently moved to Debian Jessie, the Testing distribution, and cannot get the BBB to work.
I have tried all the different desktop options available, Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, etc, and what happens every time is that the BBB is mounted and I can peruse the “boot” folder, however I cannot access the 192.168.7.2 address at all, and 192.168.7.1 isn’t listed by ifconfig either.
Is there something simple I am missing that is keeping the BBB from working here?
I am fairly inexperienced with Linux, so I would guess this is so.

I am also pretty certain the BBB isn’t to blame, as it works when plugged into my Windows desktop… it grabs the 192.168.7.2 ip address, and is accessible through ssh and the web page.

linux pc run
dhclient -i usb0

What ended up working was the following:

dhclient eth2

Where eth2 was the listing in ifconfig which seemed to pertain to the BBB.

Thanks for putting me on the right track though!

I am also having this issue on the BBB for Debian Jessie.

For my case, my interface to the beaglebone black is eth1. Performing dhclient eth1 did not work for me.
I get the following error:
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not permitted

Prepending sudo to the command seems to be hanging as well. Is there a solution to this issue?

Is there a solution to this issue?

Yes, we think changing from rt kernel to normal kernel will fix the problem. So you can attempt to do this manually on your own, or you can wait until next week when a new image is put out.