Can't connect to https://beaglebone.local and SSH to my board.

Hello Everyone!

I just got my very first BeagleBoard, the BeagleBone Black. I am new to the world of microcontrollers and embedded programming so please forgive me if I say/ask anything stupid. I look forward to learning a lot from you guys, but now on to my problem . . .

I was following the instructions beginning with START.htm and I got to the section where it shows how to SSH over to the board. The problem is that I can’t seem to connect. I clicked the link that was supposed to direct me to https://beaglebone.local (https://192.168.7.2/) but I just get a message from Chrome saying the webpage is not available. I’m not sure where to begin troubleshooting on this. The board is detected when I go to the START.htm page, but I can’t figure out why it won’t connect to beaglebone.local. I was wondering if there was a way to check connectivity with Putty, maybe?

Has anyone had this issue before when they first started with the board and, if so, how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance for any help on this! :slight_smile:

BeagleNoob,

There are several ways:

1. Buy a router (unless you already are using one) and plug the beaglebone black Ethernet port into the router, and your pc into the router also and the router to the house Ethernet port. Then off the internet download the Advanced Port Scanner from Radmin (its free). Use the Radmin to scan your network for the BBblack device and to see
    what Ethernet address the router has assigned to it. Then sudo ssh to that address and not the 196.168.7.2. You need to tell or set in the Radmin port scanner and
    range of address to scan like 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.255 or like 192.168.40.1 to 192.168.40.255. I guess the third number really depends on if you are at home or at work and you know the range of addresses that the main server will chose. You will know the BBB address because it will show two open ports, with port number 22 ssh.

2. Go to like a Frys or Microcenter or some electronics super store that has a device called a FTDI, USB to serial converter. There are several, one made by Sparkfun
    and another made by OSSep, and probably there are others. You then would use a usb to miniAB cable (like the one that came with the BBB) and plug this onto the usb to serial converter. Oh, you need to make sure the usb to serial converter is a 3.3V version and not a +5V version otherwise bye bye BBB. The usb to serial converter FTDI also needs to have 5 pin socket and this will plug onto the BBB at J1 which is a 5 pin male header, but you need to make sure you plug it in the correct direction i.e. pin 1 goes into socket 1.

But you need a driver for the usb to serial FTDI, but for a Linux host machine it is already built in, but if you are using a Windows machine, then you need to go to the manufacturers website for the device and download and install the driver for the thing. Once that is done and working then it is a matter of plugging it to your BBB at J1 and then plugging the +5V power supply to the BBB. But you will need to use minicom on a Linux machine $ minicom -s and then set the baud for 115.2khz and also need
to set the device to /dev/ttyUSB0. For a Windows machine you would use putty but I am not sure what setting you would use, possibly ssh , but more likely serial with 8n1 8 data bits, no parity and no flow control, setting also with a 115.2k baud. When booted the putty screen should show like a dmesg

Best regards,

RocketRod

Thanks Rod!

Before I went ahead fully with suggestion #1, I decided to just connect the board to my router and SSH over via Putty and it worked! I was able to get in with the given IP address and username. :slight_smile:

Now I guess I should probably make a separate thread, but do you know where I can go for a simple sample projects that I can use to learn more about the board? Like how to use peripherals and LEDs, etc.?

Use any web browser and browse to the same IP address that you SSH’d to and add ‘:3000’ to the end.

For example ‘ 192.168.10.105:3000 ’

This is the address of the Cloud9 IDE and there are a number of examples.

Or just the 192.168.10.105 (For example. Your IP will be different) This will get you to the Getting Started Web page.

Should work.