Can't SSH over Mac's USB

When I first got my BBB, I installed the drivers on my Mac and was able to ssh over to it via USB no problem. Yesterday, while trying to share the Mac’s Internet connection via USB with the BBB I did something that disabled this. Before I did whatever it is that I did, I could see in the Network pane of System Preferences that the BBB was connected. Now, I see a bunch of BBB items in the list of devices, but they are all “not configured,” and there is no way to configure them.

Fortunately, I am still able to connect to my home network via the router and ssh to the BBB via Ethernet. I tried updating the software, and while that all seemed to run OK, I’m still unable to SSH over USB.

I checked /etc/network/interfaces, and the lines setting up usb0 are still there, so I don’t think that’s the problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks, Dan

I’m having the exact same issue. See the attached screenshot. Were you able to correct the problem?

Carl

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 7.09.38 PM.png

nope. I even changed the netmask to match.

I don’t think it works at all. I am not getting any satisfactory knowable answers from anywhere.

Jerry, try using route add such as . . .

route add -net 192.168.7.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.7.1

This is to be done on your BBB. If you’re able to ping an outside ip after this, then Debian has issue with something in your network. And you’ll have to figure out what it is before debian will automatically set up your default gateway.

BTW there is tons of information out there on the web on related material / issues. So, I would suggest get busy reading, and experimenting. Unless you think the problem will fix its self.

OK, I think I figured it out. I don’t know how it became corrupted but here is how I solved it:

• In Finder, in the Menu find Go To. Go to the following directory: /System/Library/Extensions.
  • Locate, drag and drop into the Trash these two files:
  • FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
  • HoRNDIS.kext- Reboot the Mac
  • Plug your BBB into the Mac
  • Locate and launch START.HTM on the BeagleBone.
  • Download and reinstall the HoRNDIS and FTDI drivers
  • Eject the BeagleBone
  • Reboot the Mac
  • Plug your BBB into the Mac
  • Launch the START.HTM file.
    It takes about half a minute for the board to communicate with the Mac. Test the link by clicking on 192.168.7.2 on the BEAGLE_BONE/START.htm page. Or, just launch Terminal and log into your board as you normally would.