Can't upgrade my Beaglebone Black's kernel from 3.8 to 4.* version

Hello everyone,

I am trying to upgrade the kernel of my Beaglebone Black from 3.8.13-bone80 to any 4.* version in order to use it for mesh networking, but I can’t see any output when I type sudo apt-cache search linux-image | grep 4 after sudo apt-get upgrade. What can I do to upgrade my kernel? The debian image that I have on the beaglebone right now is 7.4 (2014-04-23 release).

Thanks for your help.

Utku

2014-04-23 has a number of limitations that inhibt upgrading to a
v4.x+ kernel (even a v3.14.x kernel will fail to boot..)

Grab a newer image:

http://beagleboard.org/latest-images

Regards,

Thanks for your answer, Robert. I checked option, but I don’t have a microSD card right now. Is there a way to install images without using an SD card or SD card is the only option?

26 Ağustos 2016 Cuma 17:17:14 UTC-4 tarihinde RobertCNelson yazdı:

Thanks for your answer, Robert. I checked option, but I don’t have a microSD card right now. Is there a way to install images without using an SD card or SD card is the only option?

No, not really. Well actually you could “boot” off USB, but this should really be done with the bootloader on an SDcard. Since if you got this wrong the first time around, you’d render your board unbootable until you did get an sdcard. So you could go in an change thigns back the way they were prior.

So the best option is to just get an sdcard.