Coding with C/C++ directly on Beaglebone, via IDE?

This kind of topic will never stop … can we stop this discussion ? Every one has his favorite tools + we don’t develop together which means that this discussion is useless.

Micka,

Not if someone says he knows it all and makes obvious false statements.

And in 2016 you don't have a device anymore where your, what *you*
declare as IDE, still will run on.

Alexander Holler

What did I do in 15 years? Participated in the released 5 Windows games, 4 applications for Windows and Mac, 2 for iOS.

Changed 4 companies, all of them are top tier company in USA, where VI is not used at all. Then of course, I may live in a different world from yours.

I didn’t even bother checking color coding for Vim, because as mentioned earlier, I don’t need to use it for something that is not meant to; when I have something better, newer, faster, easier. Same goes for the places where I used to work: people do not use it.

I have seen few people using Memacs, but it was a rarity, and limited to few old engineers. The world is not only like you see it; the fact that you have certain experiences is not a considerable proof to say " this is how it is everywhere".

There are 6M of people on this planet, in case you didn’t realize it.

I was merely pointing out that the original topic is asking for an IDE and not a text editor to write applications; and that’s the line that I am taking in my replies.

I never syndicated what a person should or should not use; just brought my personal experience and described my case. If someone wants to use notepad, Vi, Emacs or his wall to write code, is their problem.

I simply said that the point is an IDE, and this whole thing of Vim with color coding and such started.

Amiga is still alive; was made in 1985; has a great OS, which many still use for simple tasks (and many copied)…as you can see old hardware and software survive if there are people using them, but this won’t make them “the best” just because they are still in use.

Same goes for Vi, Vim, Sed, Awk and another hundred of utilities and applications.

What “I declare” as IDE is the definition of it; pretty simple and clear; if you want to use something and call it IDE, it is your business; like using a painting brush to mop he floor. The point was never “you can’t do it”, but “there is something more functional and productive”.

Now let’s bring back coal, it is still around, so we should use it to retrofit our cars.

I have seen few people using Memacs, but it was a rarity, and limited to
few old engineers. The world is not only like you see it; the fact that you
have certain experiences is not a considerable proof to say " this is how
it is everywhere".

There are 6M of people on this planet, in case you didn't realize it.

Err, you made the obvious wrong statement that no one uses vi(m) for any
large and/or serious project. So you have to ask yourself who is the the
narrpw-minded one and who has to learn a bit more about reality.

Anyway, it's getting boring.

Can we stop this discussion ?

And to make everyone happy, there is eclipse + vim => http://eclim.org

Micka,

And this is the video that I was mentioning earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFv_-ykLppo

Setup of Eclipse for the BB (but it apply also to the BBB).

The whole channel is a really great and educational site; all that I know about the BB is thanks to this guy.

I.D.E == integrated development environment. Technically, any well featured text editor could do these same duties.

Isnt bloodsheds DevC++ opensource ? Rewrite to use linaro’s armhf toolchain . . . or make it configurable like Code::Blocks. Hell write your own for that matter.There is another similar ( but better looking ) C/C++ IDE out now. PellesC. I used to like bloodsheds IDE myself years ago, but prefer PellesC on the Windows desktop now days.However for cross platform developement ( cross arch ) PellesC is not configurable. At least not the last time I checked.

Also, someone with 15 years development experience should know that there are many developers that use VIM. Most Unix / Linux developers I know prefer VIM. Hell as primarily a Windows developer for the last 18 years. Even I like the way it looks in appearance( or can be made to look ).

Visual Studio

Pro’s:

Excellent layout, very good code completion, excellent debug error reporting( honestly when setup correctly is very hard for other options to even match ), and a definition search feature that no other IDE seems to have either.

Con’s:

With the latest version, the IDE has become very bloated. Many of the features mentioned above can require extensive setup outside of using Microsoft’s cl.exe. That means any custom compiler / toolchain option. So for instance any version of gcc would have to be setup using a makefile project, and batch scripting / perl scripting for correct debug information, and proper / wanted compiler options. Or would require a plugin written using one of the professional or higher versions. Also is not cross platform.

Code::Blocks

Pro’s:

Highly configurable, you can choose which toolchain / options you wish to use( custom if need be ). Essentially can be made to use any gcc / g++ type compiler. Is opensource, and is free( as in beer ). Has a very nice base project creation tool. Allowing the user to create projects from scratch which can then be used as project profiles in later projects. A very useful feature. Cross platform. Binaries for Windows, Linux, and I do believe OSX as well.

Con’s:

Some feature can be buggy or do not seem to work correctly. For the most part from my own experience this just means the debugger would not work correctly for me. Granted I was using a specialized toolchain for the MSP430 MCU’s.

Also as a personal preference, Code::Blocks while very capable as an IDE, just does not seem to be as polished as Visual Studio, or even Eclipse. This means in appearance as well as usability. Granted, considering the price, there is no real reason to complain.

Again a I mentioned in a previous post. I Personally use Code:Blocks for project management / binary compiling. For editing source code I prefer to use sublime text.

My reasons are simple.

1. Code::Blocks is very good at project management.

2. Code::Blocks can be made to use just about any opensource toolchain.

3. Code:Block is less than appealing visually for me personally ( read: code editor ).

4. Sublime Text has very attractive dark themes that is very easy one the eyes,

5. Sublime Text has many attractive features including a fairly intuitive addon manager.

6. Sublime text has many, many addons for many, many programming languages.

7. Sublime text is highly configurable / customizable as well.

William; to be an IDE it needs a debugger, compiler and linker…if you can do that just with VI, I will personally work 80 hours a day and donate all my salary to you for the rest of my life :slight_smile:

The problem is not if Dev-C++ is open source or not…80% of the code probably is not even reusable (I don’t really have the will nor the time to check it), and the rest is just the text editor probably; the problem thou is simple: it would be too heavy to run on the BB.

Write my own? Either you have too much free time or I have a very busy life :slight_smile: How many people do you know that build their own IDE, just because ? Reinventing the wheel is one of the biggest mistake that most of the novice programmers do…you are not writing code that someone else already wrote, because makes no sense…if there is a library you extend it or take part of it to customize it (if the license allow you to do so), for your needs; altho if the person that wrote the library is a good architect, he/she made the API as generic as possible, and probably with overloading where needed.

Please leave out the VI topic, let’s not start all over again with this nonsense.

BTW the topic is an IDE that runs on the Beaglebone…thanks for your insight about these software (I would go code:blocks for sure over VS…gb and gb of stuff that you may never use, just over bloating the software); it may help someone that is allergic to Eclipse. The original question started with that request, unless I am missing something.

Personally I am allergic to anything that requires JRE. Hence I refuse to use Eclipse.

There are text editors out there that are configurable to the point where you can configure external binaries to run on the press of a hotkey. Since the gcc toolchain consists of all cmd line tools, you do not need to output directly in the editor its self. You could however always redirect stdout / stderr if you so wished.

Anyway, watch these sometime.

https://tutsplus.com/course/improve-workflow-in-sublime-text-2/

Specifically “Vintage mode”. Which is essentially VIM inside the text editor. The text editor can also execute external binaries, and is highly configurable / customizable. Anyway, this is about as close to VI / VIM in an IDE you’re going to get I suppose.

As it happens I have started to write something which resembled a very simplistic IDE with no built in text editor. Instead of finishing it however, I instead invested some time learning how Code::Blocks works, and just use GDB via the command line.

Personally, I think it is folly to even consider running an IDE directly on the BBB. So a moot point.

Guess it is a matter of preferences in the end…I trust more Oracle stuff than Microsoft.

Memacs is able to do as you described; you can write macro; altho you are still tied to a debugger to debug an application; and the lack of many facilities makes you wonder why you hate yourself so much, to use a textual environment instead of a full graphical IDE…if you are in a pinch then it may work, but for any daily job, I would not rely on it.

I think that a text editor is the base block for an IDE; then it is a matter of putting some buttons to run the build and run commands; but the hard part is all the translation from pure textual symbols to something more clean, when you are debugging. Technically you can script almost all the functions of gdb, but it is slow as hell.

I believe that there is room for a full IDE on the BB; especially if you consider that stuff like Storm C was running on Pc and Amiga computers, which had 14 Mhz processor and barely a mb or 2 of ram

http://www.haage-partner.de/amiga/storm/sc_ft_e.htm#StormC1