Commercially using the REV C?

Hello,

I would like to know can i use this Beagle bone Black REV C for commercial use ? also included software Debian for commercial ?

if yes

1. When can i get a large quantity of the product ? (currently only 1 is available per person)

2. Is there is any limitation on Editing the circuit ?

3. Is there is any limitation on editing the OS/software/logic ?

4. Will i get support for the BBB rev c if used commercially (without modifying the circuit)?

5. Will there be any clause of warranty void ? do you provide warranty on your product ?

6. Is there is any guide, books especially made for REV C which are very in depth ? (not for newbies)

FYI : I turned to BBB because i read online that the PI can’t be used commercially (without commitment to large qty sale)

Hope you will soon answer the question

Thank You

there are no restrictions to using the board in commercial products as long as you understand that the board and the SW will change. Long-tern support of the HW and the SW is not guaranteed in its current form. In other words once we make a change to the board and it is say rev D, then we no longer make the rev C.

1. Find a distributor that will sell you the quantities you need.
  2. The design is Open Source. Change it as you see fit.
  3. Change it as you want to. No rules against it.
  4. rev C will be supported as normal. But, we will not accept dozens of boards into RMA because the board was used in away it was not designed for. All support is community support
  5. Warrant is the same except for #4 above… I did not design the board for your application. So, I cannot guarantee that it will work in your application. You are totally responsible for that. I will not change the design to fit your application or needs.
  6. For the HW, did you look at the System Reference Manual?

Gerald

Gerald

For quantity purchase, look here:

http://www.logicsupply.com/components/motherboards/arm/bb-black-c/

Cheers

I think it’s better to avoid replicas. I had a bad experience with Embest replica. It has low quality expansion connectors and I couldn’t make it work with LCD cape correctly. Original CircuitCo BBB works good.

We’ve been very satisfied with the quality of the Embest/Element14 version of the BBB. We have a number of larger project customers who have used it with great success.

Hey thx

1. Gerald i was asking about the Software part. I mean where can i get BASIC - ADVANCE regarding the software tutorial.

3 things more

1. Why i am not able to find what is included in the software (OS part) i mean to say there are no - none info on it…
    What exactly work out of the box. What i see is DEBIAN wheezy is installed. Next i know that the Apache2 is also installed but it is working for the software i was not able to re route it… Because i do not have the info… (i am from background of REDHAT linux never used DEBIAN)

2. Scenario :
    Suppose i have a IT service providing company and i got the idea to use beaglebone as a device for providing the service to monitor server via BBB (and linux). And i though to sale the product (the HW will not be customized only the SW will be) in the market.
    Q 2) In the above scenario how to make sure that nobody else copy my product ? how can i trademark ? what can i trademark ?

3. I ordered my piece of REV C from adafruit. What i noticed that the LAN internet speed is giving only 5kbps

wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test10.zip
it is giving 5kbps
VERY VERY LOW…
I do not know what is the Problem. I flashed the board with May 2014 EDITION of Deb but still i am facing the issue.
I also want to say that i am Network Engg, Web Designer and DBA.
So i check the Cable it is fien (as per mentioned in some post of beaglebone).
I provided beaglebone DMZ IP so to get direct connection to internet NO port forwarding or No Firewall restriction.
Our network is very small like 6 nodes only and using router TD-W8968
I do not know what to do because this problem is a big BLOCKER in the Project.

Here is some output

(previous message not posted i thing it is deleted or something so reposting)
Thanks for the detailed reply

1. I was looking for SW guide… I mean it is very very hard to understand what exaclty is included in DEBIAN LINUX.how to reinstall cloud9
    How to work with NODE.JS (is it installed already in the system ?)
    etc etc there is no info on what is available in software term in the OS as per the rev c and it is compatibility. It is the BIGGEST problem in any system. This lead to dis-interest and lots of research have to be done to know what exactly is available and what we need… So please divert me to a page where what is available on the OS is mentioned or What is available on the eMMC and the Images in detail.

2. I also want to ask suppose i want to sell a product in combo like BBB+LINUX debian+sock.io+perticular scripts and database and website on it as a package in that case what exaclty i have to trade mark ? can i trade mark whole system or will i have to trade mark only perticular scripts and database etc etc or software part … i think you are getting the point here…

Hey thx

6) Gerald i was asking about the Software part. I mean where can i get BASIC
- ADVANCE regarding the software tutorial.

3 things more

1) Why i am not able to find what is included in the software (OS part) i
mean to say there are no - none info on it..
What exactly work out of the box. What i see is DEBIAN wheezy is installed.
Next i know that the Apache2 is also installed but it is working for the
software i was not able to re route it.. Because i do not have the info...
(i am from background of REDHAT linux never used DEBIAN)

Then install fedora, they support it.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

2) Scenario :
Suppose i have a IT service providing company and i got the idea to use
beaglebone as a device for providing the service to monitor server via BBB
(and linux). And i though to sale the product (the HW will not be customized
only the SW will be) in the market.
Q 2) In the above scenario how to make sure that nobody else copy my product
? how can i trademark ? what can i trademark ?

Well, your competing with people that install webmin:

So your "service" would be to sell the device + case + software setup
+ power supply in a box...

3) I ordered my piece of REV C from adafruit. What i noticed that the LAN
internet speed is giving only 5kbps

wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test10.zip
it is giving 5kbps
VERY VERY LOW.....
I do not know what is the Problem. I flashed the board with May 2014 EDITION
of Deb but still i am facing the issue.
I also want to say that i am Network Engg, Web Designer and DBA.
So i check the Cable it is fien (as per mentioned in some post of
beaglebone).
I provided beaglebone DMZ IP so to get direct connection to internet NO port
forwarding or No Firewall restriction.
Our network is very small like 6 nodes only and using router TD-W8968
I do not know what to do because this problem is a big BLOCKER in the
Project.

Sounds like crappy internet connection..

Regards,

(previous message not posted i thing it is deleted or something so
reposting)
Thanks for the detailed reply

6) I was looking for SW guide.. I mean it is very very hard to understand
what exaclty is included in DEBIAN LINUX.
how to reinstall cloud9
How to work with NODE.JS (is it installed already in the system ?)
etc etc there is no info on what is available in software term in the OS as
per the rev c and it is compatibility. It is the BIGGEST problem in any
system. This lead to dis-interest and lots of research have to be done to
know what exactly is available and what we need.. So please divert me to a
page where what is available on the OS is mentioned or What is available on
the eMMC and the Images in detail.

"dpkg --list" will show you everything that is installed.

7) I also want to ask suppose i want to sell a product in combo like
BBB+LINUX debian+sock.io+perticular scripts and database and website on it
as a package in that case what exaclty i have to trade mark ? can i trade
mark whole system or will i have to trade mark only perticular scripts and
database etc etc or software part ... i think you are getting the point
here..

Regards,

First of all thank you for some answers above it resolved next the questions (on unresolved queries)

Well, your competing with people that install webmin:
http://www.webmin.com/
So your “service” would be to sell the device + case + software setup

• power supply in a box…

Actually i was just saying that SUPPOSE… this is just a Scenario
So again…

1. I want to Trade mark the work which i will do… that is the main thing… After working so hard for professional gain it will be impossible to know in the end that it will not generate revenue.
    I too contribute to certain open source softwares but that is my extra time but this is professional project meant for professional industries.
    So again
    Suppose i want to Make a software on the debian which will monitor certain parameter, act if conditions are met and report to the registered persons (in very very short example)… than how come i will benefit from it… I mean professionaly in business point of view. How can and which part of the product i can trademark ? also you can see my previous point 7 which will also give an example of a product
  2. How can you say that i have a bad network…
    I have a office network with only 5-6 users and i am testing BBB over that network. The router is TP-link. How cum i am getting only 5kb over ETHERNET LINE… i am getting 500kb (which is max in my network) on INTERNET OVER USB and less on the wifi usb module (which is okay). Kindly tell if i have to submit any log or stuff to check what exactly going on… (I tried reflashing with new image many times.)