Comms cape - missing overlay or workaround

Jason,

Hello there.

I’m rather new to the IoT and BeagleBone Black.

I’m really enjoying it. I am employed by SAFE Inc., and we make custom PCBs and microcontrollers. We use quite a few BeagleBone Blacks.

We recently acquired your Comms cape for a large project.

The Debian Linux distribution I am using (the one compiled for BB) sees the Comms cape, but the overlay for the cape seems to be missing: BBORG_COMMS

Here’s the output from dmesg:

debian@beaglebone:/lib/firmware$ dmesg | grep bone

[ 1.380819] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: Baseboard: ‘A335BNLT,00C0,4218BBBK260C’

[ 1.380849] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: compatible-baseboard=ti,beaglebone-black - #slots=4

[ 1.408504] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #0: No cape found

[ 1.435440] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #1: No cape found

[ 1.460071] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #2: ‘Industrial Comms Cape,00A2,BeagleBoard.org,BBORG_COMMS’

[ 1.488731] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: slot #3: No cape found

[ 1.489015] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: initialized OK.

[ 1.493924] bone_capemgr bone_capemgr: loader: failed to load slot-2 BBORG_COMMS:00A2 (prio 0)

[ 5.897999] systemd[1]: Set hostname to .

I am wondering if there is or will be an overlay for this board, of if there is an alternative way to enable UART4 for this cape? Currently, when I try to use or enable it with Adafruit in Python, it is just not available.

Sorry about that. Validation happened using individual overlays. I’ll push an update to https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays shortly.

For the RS485, just using the already loaded UART driver is fine:

sudo config-pin p9.11 uart

sudo config-pin p9.13 uart

Then, set your baud, etc. via ‘stty’ with /dev/ttyS4.

For the CAN, I think we used BB-CAN1-00A0.dts configured via /boot/uEnv.txt, ie:
uboot_overlay_addr4=/lib/firmwareBB-CAN1-00A0.dtbo

It might have been possible with config-pin, but I’m not sure.

Again, sorry I dropped the ball on submitting the overlay. I should be able to have it pushed by Monday afternoon and Robert should be able to have it in the repo by Wednesday.

Jason:

Wow. That’s amazingly fast answers and communication!

I really appreciate it.

I’m really getting into this new career of mine in IoT stuff.

You do great work.

Best,