Confused regarding kernel versions

I compiled a Beaglebone image according to the instructions on the Angstrom developers page and it built a system with a 3.2.18 kernel. When I give the commands opkg update; opkg upgrade, I end up with a version containing a 3.2.23 kernel. How do I point to the sources for the upgraded system? I also note that the cloud9 image "Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.05-beaglebone-2012.06.18.img.xz" from the Beaglebone site behaves in a similar manner.

I apologize if this is well documented somewhere, in which case please give me a pointer.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

I compiled a Beaglebone image according to the instructions on the Angstrom developers page and it built a system with a 3.2.18 kernel. When I give the commands opkg update; opkg upgrade, I end up with a version containing a 3.2.23 kernel. How do I point to the sources for the upgraded system? I also note that the cloud9 image "Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.05-beaglebone-2012.06.18.img.xz" from the Beaglebone site behaves in a similar manner.

I apologize if this is well documented somewhere, in which case please give me a pointer.

./oebb.sh update

Thanks Koen. I had tried that, but I was still getting 3.2.18. I will retry with a fresh clone.

Ah right, I see what happened. To keep up to date, do the following:

1) git pull
2) rm sources/meta-ti -rf
3) ./oebb.sh update

or

1) git pull
2) cd sources/meta-ti && git checkout origin/denzil -b denzil
3) ./oebb.sh update

The patches to update the kernel to .23 are now out for review to get backported to the 'denzil' release branch of meta-ti. It has been a bit chaotic the past few weeks, both of the meta-ti maintainers have been moving to a new house :slight_smile:

regards,

Koen

Op 29 jul. 2012 om 17:29 heeft David Lambert <dave@lambsys.com> het volgende geschreven:

./oebb.sh update

Thanks Koen. I had tried that, but I was still getting 3.2.18. I will retry with a fresh clone.

I just tried with a fresh clone (complete log attached) and removed ~/.oe.* prior to that. I notice that:
ls ./sources/meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2/
3.2.1 3.2.11 3.2.13 3.2.15 3.2.17 3.2.2 3.2.4 3.2.6 3.2.8 am335x-evm beaglebone led psp
3.2.10 3.2.12 3.2.14 3.2.16 3.2.18 3.2.3 3.2.5 3.2.7 3.2.9 am335x-pm-firmware.bin configs patch.sh usb

does not have any mention of kernels later than 3.2.18.

beaglebone.log (310 KB)

Thanks Koen. Please ignore my previous message. It appears they got crossed over the net :-[

Still some problems:

I tried your first suggestion and there was still no mention of version > 3.2.18 in sources/meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2

Checked out a fresh copy and:
Setup for beaglebone completed
dlambert@development:~/beaglebone/setup-scripts$ git pull
Already up-to-date.
dlambert@development:~/beaglebone/setup-scripts$ cd sources/meta-ti && git checkout origin/denzil -b denzil
fatal: A branch named 'denzil' already exists.

Still some problems:

I tried your first suggestion and there was still no mention of version > 3.2.18 in sources/meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti33x-psp-3.2

Checked out a fresh copy and:
Setup for beaglebone completed
dlambert@development:~/beaglebone/setup-scripts$ git pull
Already up-to-date.
dlambert@development:~/beaglebone/setup-scripts$ cd sources/meta-ti && git checkout origin/denzil -b denzil
fatal: A branch named 'denzil' already exists.

Right, the 12 patches are still out for review, they should go in later this week. If you want them sooner, merge in the 'angstrom-staging' branch from https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-ti/tree/angstrom-staging

There seems to be a similar issue that has cropped up. The kernel sources are 3.2.23, but opkg upgrade gives kernel 3.2.28. Any ideas on how to synchronize these?

Regards,

Dave.