Could someone help me troubleshoot a paid program called screenconnect?

I bought a program called ScreenConnect at screenconnect.com. Anyone can freely use this for one month with trial key which immediatly after registering you get your key. This supposed to work with the Beagle Bone Black.

The problem is that I can get it working in the default Angstrom 6.20 image but if i flash to newer image it does not work, nor does it work in any version of ubuntu or debian. My perferred choice is debian 7.3.

The install scripts for this program spits out an error:

./install.sh: line 248:mono: command not found

— So screenconnect support responded with this after they SSH into my beaglebone and saw the same problem and was not sure how to fix it:

Hey Jacob,

Jake said that the following command and, more importantly, the system response below form the crux of the problem:

root@arm:~/ScreenConnect_4.1.5867.5115_Install/Installer# ldd mono_linux_01_armv7
not a dynamic executable

Jake said that you may want to ask on the forum with the particular command as the basis.

--------- so im only doing what they ask. any help would be greatly appreciated.

See: https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2012/02/msg00000.html

currently mono isn't available for armhf in debian..

Regards,

I take it Ubuntu is in the same boat?

I really dislike angstrom.

Is there any way to make mono available. What can I do to get this going to work with Debian?

Debian is Ubuntu's upstream.. if neither do 'it', the package won't get built..

Is there any way to make mono available. What can I do to get this going to
work with Debian?

Sure.. start hacking on it. :wink:

Regards,

Is there any way to make mono available. What can I do to get this going
to work with Debian?

According to the Debian package pages, mono is available for ARM, but only
armel not armhf. It might be worth going to the mono list for debian at
pkg-mono-group@lists.alioth.debian.org and asking if it is simply that
no one has gotten around to building it for armhf, or if there is some
reason (like the JIT has some assembler code which is endian dependant and
no-one has rewritten it for armhf). If there is a call for it they might
try building it for you.

David

See: https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2012/02/msg00000.html

Regards,

>> I take it Ubuntu is in the same boat?
>>
>> I really dislike angstrom.
>>
>> Is there any way to make mono available. What can I do to get this going
>> to work with Debian?
>
> According to the Debian package pages, mono is available for ARM, but only
> armel not armhf. It might be worth going to the mono list for debian at
> pkg-mono-group@lists.alioth.debian.org and asking if it is simply that
> no one has gotten around to building it for armhf, or if there is some
> reason (like the JIT has some assembler code which is endian dependant and
> no-one has rewritten it for armhf). If there is a call for it they might
> try building it for you.

See: Wanted: superstar hacker to complete Mono port to armhf

Yuk! It still might be worth a try as that was nearly two years ago. It
might also be worth going back to the mono developers (non-debian) list and
asking there.

David

all this help is appreciated, but is over my head, even the reporting mono to debian group and mono group I dont follow. I will try to get the screenconnect people to help acomplish this. I am just a user that wants a low powered cheap computer to run screenconnect and debian has other nice packages I could use for other things so I can multi-purpose it for greater value and usefulness. I at this time am forced to return to the stock Angstrom 6.20 image and reinstall screenconnect there where it works decent. It just isnt any fun to have to find how to tweak the image with all that garbage (cloud9, Bonescript, etc) going and hogging resources in one way or the other. Angstrom does not cut it when it comes to other guides to install such and such to work because nobody uses angstrom, most guides are in debian or mostly ubuntu.

A lighter version of screenconnect that uses mono version 3.4 works good on angstrom 6.20 and the latest image 9.4 but does not work with debian or ubuntu any version for bbb.

The newer version 4.0 stable did not work on anything at all until the beta 4.1 in which only worked mostly stable on the angstrom 6.20 image, but once flashing to 9.4 it installs fine but never lets you set it up via the webpage setup link. Ubuntu and Debian not working of course.

So it seems that the screenconnect team worked with some hacks to get the more mono intensive version of 4.1 to work but nowhere near as stable as on a windows machine.

After researching out the links to requesting a good pure version of mono for armhf, My findings are somewhat confusing to if it should work or not. I will just take my gut feeling that the armhf needs master repositories for mono that is hard-float and not just patched to work. Screenconnect seems to continue to develop more and more features and that means mono for armhf will be less and less reliable because its just patched to barely work.

After posting my request on the screenconnect forum there was only 24 hits to my link to ask for community support. This means I am a very small minority to want to have someone for free, write over 500 lines of code and adjusting headers.

I think unless the developer of screenconnect figures this out, I will have to either use windows laptop to host the server, or i can use my beaglebone black as a server but stuck on angstrom 9.4 image only able to have a great stable 3.4 version of screenconnect to do my job supporting customers remotely.

I am a total newb about what it takes to write code and make things work in linux and am pretty sure it takes great efforts to make anything work on proprietary computers like the beaglebone. Time will tell…mono or not to mono.

A lighter version of screenconnect that uses mono version 3.4 works good on
angstrom 6.20 and the latest image 9.4 but does not work with debian or
ubuntu any version for bbb.

The newer version 4.0 stable did not work on anything at all until the beta
4.1 in which only worked mostly stable on the angstrom 6.20 image, but once
flashing to 9.4 it installs fine but never lets you set it up via the
webpage setup link. Ubuntu and Debian not working of course.

So it seems that the screenconnect team worked with some hacks to get the
more mono intensive version of 4.1 to work but nowhere near as stable as on
a windows machine.

After researching out the links to requesting a good pure version of mono
for armhf, My findings are somewhat confusing to if it should work or not.
I will just take my gut feeling that the armhf needs master repositories for
mono that is hard-float and not just patched to work. Screenconnect seems
to continue to develop more and more features and that means mono for armhf
will be less and less reliable because its just patched to barely work.

"more and more features" yet no one's cared to port mono to armhf...
It's a very niche audience..

After posting my request on the screenconnect forum there was only 24 hits
to my link to ask for community support. This means I am a very small
minority to want to have someone for free, write over 500 lines of code and
adjusting headers.

I think unless the developer of screenconnect figures this out, I will have
to either use windows laptop to host the server, or i can use my beaglebone
black as a server but stuck on angstrom 9.4 image only able to have a great
stable 3.4 version of screenconnect to do my job supporting customers
remotely.

I am a total newb about what it takes to write code and make things work in
linux and am pretty sure it takes great efforts to make anything work on
proprietary computers like the beaglebone. Time will tell...mono or not to
mono.

There is the "armel" option...

Use : GitHub - RobertCNelson/netinstall: Network Install for a bunch of arm boards

With the "--distro wheezy-armel" option.. just don't complain about it
being slower then armhf..

Regards,

im running the 4gb image on my 8gb sdcard of debian on my bbb. i went to the link you said, and tried to follow the directions, but I want to net install onto the eMMC not the sdcard. is this possible booted to sdcard? that probably shows my newbieness right there lol. thanks in advance.

No...

Installing to the eMMC via the NetInstall is disabled for a reason...
In "wheezy" the partitioning gui hardlocks when attempts to probe the
eMMC with the original Angstrom partition table.. So it's disabled...

So just install to "microSD" then move it over to eMMC with my handy
script here:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/tools/blob/master/scripts/beaglebone-black-copy-microSD-to-eMMC.sh

Regards,

ok so since im ssh into my beaglebone now to the microSD running debian, and angstrom is on eMMC, I have to flash my microSD with a flasher debian version because angstrom probably wont run your net install, once flashed, i boot to eMMC and i then can do the net install to the MicroSD, then boot to the microsd, then use your script and reboot after done with microsd card out and i should be good to go.?!?!

linux…

Sorry i got lost in ^^..

My "NetInstall" doesn't really support Angstrom, as Angstrom is
missing a few of the commands needed...

So don't use Angstrom to run the NetInstall..

Grab either another linux box.. Running debian/ubuntu (not virtual)..
or a 2nd beaglebone running debian/ubuntu..

use the microSD boot into the installer... install.. .reboot...

run the script to transfer microSD to eMMC..

Regards,

ok thank you for all your extended help.

i thought it would be cool to add gnome desktop to the netinstall. then i ran your script and failed saying not enough room on target. i guess i need to either start all over(took allday) or somehow figure out how to remove gnome desktop to have enough room to hopefully install to eMMC. I am following this: http://superuser.com/questions/603392/how-to-remove-gnome-3-and-all-its-dependencies-from-a-debian-wheezy-netinst

hope script works, then if so, finally will get to test screenconnect to see if it will run.

OKAY I finally got rid of gnome and the script worked to copy from sdcard to eMMC.

So i decided to start at screenconnect version 3.4 and upgrade all the way up to 4.1beta.

3.4 works!!! awesome because it did not work on the regular debian or ubuntu for beaglebone prebuilt images!!
4.0 installed fine, but I got spinning circles ( had same issue in angstrom hence was fixed with 4.1 beta) and never stops spinning.
4.1 beta installs fine, but no webpage at all, upon looking at top shows mono spiking the cpu off and on.

Right before i was going to roll back to 3.4 (about 20 minutes after starting sc service) I was going to for fun just refresh the webpage and BAM!! WORKS. Not sure yet how well but will test it asap.

This has been an incredible day and a good learning experience. I think I am about to get my dream come true which is to run screenconnect on debian on my beagle bone black! :slight_smile:

Awesome!! I have now tested screenconnect and its working better than it was on angstrom like i figured it would. Thank you Robert and David for the help.