Creating The SGX Driver For Ubuntu 14.04

Yeah, i still remember their last great release... Maverick.. Moved
everything to debian shortly after..

Regards,

My own experience with Ubuntu 12.04 on a Tecra M9 wasn’t pleasant when it came to the stability of the NVidia GPU using the open source driver. Every so often X Server would freeze either at the login screen or when logging in, if that wasn’t the case then it may occur with the next reboot. Using the official NVidia driver was far, far, far worse with X Server freezing once every 10 seconds every time the laptop was running.

Since switching to Linux Mint 17 on the Tecra absolutely no problems have occurred with the stability of the NVidia GPU regardless of the driver used.

Nick,

That’s good to hear. The problems I experienced were concerning iSCSI, and Xen running on the same system. I literally spent a week setting everything up only to have the whole setup fail silently on the last step. No recourse, no mention of this problem anywhere. This was back when Ubuntu 11 was new, and I think I was using 10.10 at the time. Needless to say I was seriously miffed after spending all this time on this task. In the end, sadly I wound up using Windows with Microsoft’s initiator software. But at least It worked

Passed this, at least back then, and at least 1-2 new iteration of Ubuntu afterwards. Ubuntu’s upgrade path was horrendous. Often breaking good, working installs, assuming it did not flat out fail to begin with. Then the last debacle that I bothered reading about. Putting google search on your desktop ? So when you search for files on your system you get results off the internet too ? Desktop adwords anyone ? At least this is what I read what was proposed . . .

Anyway, if you like Mint for a desktop I say more power to you. Just dont expect it to be a Swiss army knife of distro’s. I would seriously suggest you put Debian in a VM as a support system for the beaglebone black. at the very least. Then, leave it as CLI only ( no X or any unnecessary stuff like that ). Your source building life should become much simpler / easier / better in the long run.

Ran build_kernel.sh again and have a Ncurses based screen shown with the title .config - Linux/arm 3.13.10 Kernel Configuration. What kernel configuration options need to be set?

William,

Some good advise to take on board for any future software build/support tasks for the BBB. Any issues that I need to be aware of when running Debian as a virtual machine in VirtualBox?

Ran build_kernel.sh again and have a Ncurses based screen shown with the title .config - Linux/arm 3.13.10 Kernel Configuration. What kernel configuration options need to be set?

None, the defaults are setup in the repo. But it’s still to show to easily change things.

Well, you know I am not a big fan of Ubuntu. My own personal experiences
with it was several years ago, and it wound up going similar to how it
seems
to be going for Nick here. Which is why l left Angstrom in the ditch
over a
year ago.

e.g. I do not want an OS that argues with me, or wants to fight at every
step i take in a custom direction.

Yeah, i still remember their last great release... Maverick.. Moved
everything to debian shortly after..

I¹ve had issues with Ubuntu in the past, but I have to say 14.04 is pretty
good. I¹ve had no issues since I installed it back in April. On the other
hand, I had several problems trying to get Debian stable or Debian testing
working on my machine with Nvidia GTX670 with 3 x 30 Inch 2560x1600
monitors. I reverted back to Ubuntu 14.04 and I¹m really happy with it.

Regards,
John

NIck, only that you need an sdcard reader that is supported as a USB device. That is so virtualbox can recognize it then present it the underlying OS. I forget the exact keywords I used to find the solution for setting it up also, but it was something like" how to sdcard in virtualbox". But there are instructions out there.

You’ll also need enough diskspace ( around 30-40GB ) to “play” around with. Depending on what you want to achieve. Then some fairly decent ( basics ) knowledge where networking is concerned.

Once setup though, it is pretty much a regular system in every / most aspect. At least where usage is concerned.

Ubuntu 14.04 is certainly justified with using the code word “trusty”.

The above written by me was with compiling uboot / the kernel in mind. There are defeinately other ways around this however. If the host system has access to these files, and the sdcard media( and you have the know how / ability to be creative ), then the sdcard “issue” I mentioned above is a non issue.

I do have a Transcend USB 2 microSD/SD reader/writer which works in Linux Mint. Hopefully VirtualBox will recognise the device.

Oh, one last thing I nearly forgot to mention. Use Debian Wheezy i386, and not the x64 variant. I usually start with the netinst ISO personally, but I am not afraid of the command line, and know exactly how I want Debian installed.

At the end where the installer asks which additional packages you want installed, deselect EVERYTHING, as it will install several packages of the same type crapping up the system.

then once you login for the first time issue

apt-get update

apt-get install sudo // if you want sudo

apt-get install openssh-server

From here on, you should be able to ssh from your host to configure / maintenance / use the VM.

Have successfully built and installed the kernel to the BBB. The BBB is now using the new kernel however I see that glxinfo is reporting that the SGI (software video) driver is still being used.

Oops, I see that there is a script that needs to be executed to build the SGX video driver.

SGX video driver has been built successfully. How do I install the SGX module to the BBB?

SGX video driver has been built successfully. How do I install the SGX module to the BBB?

Copy the sgx tarball under deploy to your rootfs. Then sudo tar xf filename.tar -c /

cd /opt/gfxinstall/ (not 100% on the spelling)
Sudo ./install-sgx.sh
Reboot

And that’s as far as we get, as we have no xorg, etc…

I’m assuming you are referring to GFX_5.01.01.01.tar.gz as the file to copy over to the BBB?

I’m assuming you are referring to GFX_5.01.01.01.tar.gz as the file to copy over to the BBB?

Heap that file, it contains the kernel modules, blob, etc.

Extracted the file that was copied over to the BBB and ran the installer. Encountered a file not found type error. Below is the error message:

chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/init.d/sgx-startup.conf’: No such file or directory

That's odd:

lsb_release -si should have came back with Ubuntu (it's like i never
test ubuntu anymore. :wink: )

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/blob/am33x-v3.13/3rdparty/sgx-install.sh#L178

Do the last part by hand..

sudo cp -v /opt/gfxinstall/scripts/sgx-startup-ubuntu.conf
/etc/init/sgx-startup.conf
sudo chown root:root /etc/init/sgx-startup.conf
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/sgx-startup.conf

Reboot..

Regards,