Cross compiling module outside of OpenEmbedded environment

I have set myself a task for over the next week, to write a Loadable Kernel Module for the beaglebone to control the GPIO and SPI bus. However, I am falling at the very first hurdle - compiling. My beaglebone image is build using OpenEmbedded and I want to cross compile my module using the openembedded kernel sources, however I keep getting this error:

Makefile:

MODULES := spiModule.o

#guest architecture
    ARCH := arm

CROSS_COMPILE := arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-
    obj-m := $(MODULES)

#path of the arm compiled kernel
    ROOTDIR :=
    /home/jack/Projects/poky-denzil.git/r0005-new/tmp/sysroots/beaglebone/lib/modules/3.2.18/kernel

MAKEARCH := $(MAKE) ARCH=$(ARCH) CROSS_COMPILE=$(CROSS_COMPILE)

all: modules

modules:
         $(MAKEARCH) -C $(ROOTDIR) SUBDIRS=${shell pwd} modules

clean:
         $(MAKEARCH) -C $(ROOTDIR) SUBDIRS=${shell pwd} clean

The error I am receiving is:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi- -C
    /home/jack/Projects/poky-denzil.git/r0005-new/tmp/sysroots/beaglebone/lib/modules/3.2.18/kernel
    SUBDIRS=/home/jack/Projects/spiModule modules
    make[1]: Entering directory
    `/home/jack/Projects/poky-denzil.git/r0005-new/tmp/sysroots/beaglebone/lib/modules/3.2.18/kernel'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory
    `/home/jack/Projects/poky-denzil.git/r0005-new/tmp/sysroots/beaglebone/lib/modules/3.2.18/kernel'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

I think I am pointing to the wrong kernel directory. Could anyone enlighten me to where I should be pointing to?

I plan to do a blog post write-up when I am finished so hopefully no help or information will go unheeded!

I don't want to do this through the OpenEmbedded module building system, the reason being I haven't been able to build it for the past few weeks to do package inconsistencies - so please don't just suggest I do that.

Regards,

I have set myself a task for over the next week, to write a Loadable Kernel Module for the beaglebone to control the GPIO and SPI bus. However, I am falling at the very first hurdle - compiling. My beaglebone image is build using OpenEmbedded and I want to cross compile my module using the openembedded kernel sources, however I keep getting this error:

Makefile:

#guest architecture

That's the wrong toolchain for one

And the wrong OE setup, you need to follow http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom

modules:

clean:

I think I am pointing to the wrong kernel directory. Could anyone enlighten me to where I should be pointing to?

I plan to do a blog post write-up when I am finished so hopefully no help or information will go unheeded!

I don't want to do this through the OpenEmbedded module building system, the reason being I haven't been able to build it for the past few weeks to do package inconsistencies - so please don't just suggest I do that.

You need to write a recipe for it.

Makefile:

#guest architecture

I'm using OpenEmbedded with meta-ti and meta-yocto layers - I've already built my image using this combination so I'm using the matching tool set. I should have mentioned this, sorry.

And the wrong OE setup, you need to follow http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom

modules:

clean:

I plan to compose a recipe for it when the bulk of the development is done and I can get OpenEmbedded building again.

I have fixed my issue by cloning the git sources of the meta-ti kernel branch, compiling it outside of OpenEmbedded using the poky toolchain and building my module against that.

Regards,

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom builds, works and is using an optimized setup for beagleboard.org boards. But if you want to stick with that x86 poky stuff, fine, but don't ask here for help, ask the poky dudes.

Makefile:

#guest architecture

I'm using OpenEmbedded with meta-ti and meta-yocto layers - I've already built my image using this combination so I'm using the matching tool set. I should have mentioned this, sorry.

modules:

clean:

I plan to compose a recipe for it when the bulk of the development is done and I can get OpenEmbedded building again.

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom builds, works

My host has upped to glibc 2.16 which is why my builds are failing - I'm just waiting for oe-core to catch up and get all Khems patches merged, along with the issues that the gets function is no longer available. I don't see why this would be different in Angstrom, it's my host incompatibility that is the issue.

and is using an optimized setup for beagleboard.org boards. But if you want to stick with that x86 poky stuff, fine,

I use the poky stuff because it's more geared to commercial development. It's already hard enough trying to prove my new fangled straight out of University hippy Linux ways are viable and if there are some charts I can wave at people from Intel saying it's good then it helps.

but don't ask here for help, ask the poky dudes.

The reason I post in this group is because it is a more about general embedded development than the Yocto list and there is a higher chance that someone in here will be trying to do what I am doing and might suggest alternatives.

Op 27 jul. 2012, om 12:52 heeft Jack Mitchell <ml@communistcode.co.uk> het
volgende geschreven:

I have set myself a task for over the next week, to write a Loadable
Kernel Module for the beaglebone to control the GPIO and SPI bus. However, I
am falling at the very first hurdle - compiling. My beaglebone image is
build using OpenEmbedded and I want to cross compile my module using the
openembedded kernel sources, however I keep getting this error:

Makefile:

#guest architecture

I'm using OpenEmbedded with meta-ti and meta-yocto layers - I've already
built my image using this combination so I'm using the matching tool set. I
should have mentioned this, sorry.

And the wrong OE setup, you need to follow
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom

modules:

clean:

I think I am pointing to the wrong kernel directory. Could anyone
enlighten me to where I should be pointing to?

I plan to do a blog post write-up when I am finished so hopefully no
help or information will go unheeded!

I don't want to do this through the OpenEmbedded module building
system, the reason being I haven't been able to build it for the past few
weeks to do package inconsistencies - so please don't just suggest I do
that.

I plan to compose a recipe for it when the bulk of the development is
done and I can get OpenEmbedded building again.

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom builds, works

My host has upped to glibc 2.16 which is why my builds are failing - I'm
just waiting for oe-core to catch up and get all Khems patches merged, along
with the issues that the gets function is no longer available. I don't see
why this would be different in Angstrom, it's my host incompatibility that
is the issue.

and is using an optimized setup for beagleboard.org boards. But if you
want to stick with that x86 poky stuff, fine,

I use the poky stuff because it's more geared to commercial development.
It's already hard enough trying to prove my new fangled straight out of
University hippy Linux ways are viable and if there are some charts I can
wave at people from Intel saying it's good then it helps.

but don't ask here for help, ask the poky dudes.

The reason I post in this group is because it is a more about general
embedded development than the Yocto list and there is a higher chance that
someone in here will be trying to do what I am doing and might suggest
alternatives.

Seriously, this question would be better posted on the Yocto list. One
of the hardest tasks we face is educating some of the Yocto Project
people about how real embedded developers work :slight_smile: We need all the help
we can get.

Philip