Debian ARMhf

I’ve been running ArchLinux ARM on my BBB for about a year. I liked this version because it is a very basic Linux variant with little fluff. I also tried the official BBB Debian version, which works well but seems to come preconfigured with some packages and content, for example Apache is pre-configured with the BBB website. The official BBB Debian works well and I have not complaints.

I did want to find a basic Debian version and believe I found one at www.armhf.com. I’ve been running this Debian version on the BBB for a few days and it seems to be working well. I don’t know much about Debian having used ArchLinux ARM for such a long time, so I wondered if anyone else was running the ARMhf version from www.armhf.com or if anyone had a suggestion for yet another Debian version that is more of a “bare metal” version.

I’ve been running ArchLinux ARM on my BBB for about a year. I liked this version because it is a very basic Linux variant with little fluff. I also tried the official BBB Debian version, which works well but seems to come preconfigured with some packages and content, for example Apache is pre-configured with the BBB website. The official BBB Debian works well and I have not complaints.

I did want to find a basic Debian version and believe I found one at www.armhf.com. I’ve been running this Debian version on the BBB for a few days and it seems to be working well. I don’t know much about Debian having used ArchLinux ARM for such a long time, so I wondered if anyone else was running the ARMhf version from www.armhf.com or if anyone had a suggestion for yet another Debian version that is more of a “bare metal” version.

Bare metal?

How about Debian in less than 64mb.

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-RootFileSystem(smallflash)

Regards,

Using Roberts bare-fs rootfs image from those instructions.

$ dpkg -l | grep -c ‘^ii’

sudo du -h /

137M /

I’d show the results of df -h / but as you can see . .

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
192.168.xxx.xxx:/home/william/rootfs 49G 5.0G 41G 11% /

Not very accurate or useful. 90% + of that used space is taken up by the NFS server.

Anyway I’ve installed ntpdate, openssh-server, sudo, and couple other things I can not think of off hand. As is this system is very useful as a basic Debian system ( all networking tools are installed, etc ), but probably less so for for development, depending on what you want to do / use. If you wanted to do your own lets say Node.js based web server, I do not think it would be unheard of to be under 500M easy.

Robert,

Thanks for the link, Debian in 64MB WOW!!! yes, that is REAL bare-metal :slight_smile:

I’m having a great time trying all the different flavors of Linux on my BBB.