Debian boot - need a little help

I burned the debian 7.4 3-37 image to SD. I am using a 5V supply and HDMI and wireless keyboard and mouse.

It boots. I see the penguin. I get the login prompt. seconds later all disappears. It looks like HDMI is still active but no video.

If I am quick I can type in a username so I know the keyboard is working.

Any ideas?

Does DEbian come up with an SSH port? I can’t seem to find a DHCP entry in my router.

OK I will answer my own question here at least partially. Since I do not need HDMI and I want to go headless anyhow I logged in using USB. I then went into the /etc/network/interfaces file and found that the eth0 lines were commented out. So that is why I had no Ethernet connection. I added a static IP definition and rebooted. All is well now for Ethernet login on port 22.

Why is ethernet not supported at initial boot?

Hi

regarding your monitor… check out
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/PKPD345Fbgg/6RO_mKOsq0QJ

you might find some hints. It sounds like the problem I had.

Hi Doug,

The Debian images use wicd to start the network interfaces instead of the /etc/network/interfaces file to avoid a possible delay on boot when the BBB is not connected to a wired network.

Unfortunately, at least in my experience, wicd is not set to enable the wired ethernet interface by default. I had to go into the wicd preferences page and check “Always show wired interface”, and then manually click the connect button on the wicd main screen. I only had to do this manually once, and ever since it has automatically re-connected the wired ethernet interface. The eth0 lines in my /etc/network/interfaces file are still commented out.

HTH
Dennis Cote