Debian Jessie issues?

I just updated to Jessie and I noticed 2 strange issues.
Wondering if anyone else has either seen these issues or knows what’s up.

Once I updated, I noticed 2 things weren’t working anymore:

1. USB connection to BBB doesn’t work. Windows doesn’t even see it as a mass storage, let alone the USB network.
  2. simple LED examples using bonescript via Cloud 9 don’t seem to update the LEDs

For #1, it’s not too big of a deal, since I just network in either wired or WiFi, but I’m still curious why that didn’t work.
When I do ifconfig, I can see the USB network just fine, and it looks to be configured properly.
Windows detects the BBB, but can’t seem to figure out a driver to use for it.

For #2, it might be user error. This is the first I’ve tried Cloud 9 and bonescript, but even the built in demos don’t seem to work.
It is connected to the board just fine, and when I run the demos to (for example) turn on USR3, everything seems to be running…just nothing happens on the LED. And unfortunately, since I’m a noob, I can’t figure out how to step through and see what’s going on…I just click run, and it shows it running…

Thanks for any help!

#1 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/beagleboard/RNDIS|sort:date/beagleboard/T7N2xs7K0TU/u4XBZRfEVmMJ

Read the last few posts. In your case though, you may have to uninstall older drivers to get g_multi or g_ether working. WIndows can be crazy that way sometimes.

#2 I’m not sure of. However I suspect since there have been reports of various issues with cape manager lately, and this image is pretty much a work in progress . . . that is is related to cape manager. Don’t know for sure though.

I’m a little ignorant of the cape manager.
Do the onboard USER LEDs on the BBB use the cape manager?

LED's are defined by default:

https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/blob/4.1/arch/arm/boot/dts/am335x-bone-common.dtsi#L21

Regards,

In that case, is there any reason that the bonescript demos (both from the default web page and Cloud 9) wouldn’t update the LEDs?
Is anyone else seeing this on Jessie on BBB?

Downgrade to 3.8.x, bonescript doesn't understand 3.14/4.1 yet..

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --stable --bone-channel

Regards,

I really appreciate your replies, Robert.
My two threads of questions are a little inter-related.

Ultimately, I’m trying to do 2 things:

1. Run a custom app using openCV on BBB
  2. Provide a web interface to interact with that app with bonescript

If I downgrade the kernel to 3.8, won’t I have cross-compile issues from my Jessie PC?

I seem to recall that what got me into the mess where I messed up my board was this:
openCV uses other armhf libraries.
Those versions (Jessie) don’t match the BBB (wheezy, if I downgrade).

So, if I want to cross-compile openCV on BBB AND have bonescript work, is the only way to do it to put wheezy on my PC?

On a side note, any idea when bonescript might understand 4.1?

thanks for all your help.

I really appreciate your replies, Robert.
My two threads of questions are a little inter-related.

Ultimately, I'm trying to do 2 things:
1. Run a custom app using openCV on BBB
2. Provide a web interface to interact with that app with bonescript

If I downgrade the kernel to 3.8, won't I have cross-compile issues from my
Jessie PC?

No... With the way i've setup things in the apt repo for
beagleboard.org, we have multiple kernels built for "jessie".

While we've been shipping 3.14.x (and now 4.1.x) for jessie, 3.8.x is
still being built for maintenance and backwards compatibility..

I seem to recall that what got me into the mess where I messed up my board
was this:
openCV uses other armhf libraries.
Those versions (Jessie) don't match the BBB (wheezy, if I downgrade).

So, if I want to cross-compile openCV on BBB AND have bonescript work, is
the only way to do it to put wheezy on my PC?

On a side note, any idea when bonescript might understand 4.1?

As soon as we can load/unload a slot correctly..

Regards,

Thank you, Robert.
I’ll give this a try tonight!

1. Use openCV on my PC
  2. Downgrade BBB to 3.8:

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --stable --bone-channel

HI Adam,

You know, you could do that without bonescript. You could use whatever image you wanted, and use Nodejs to do pretty much the same thing. However, it is different, and since you’d pretty much be writing the app pretty much from scrap, there would be a learning curve.

I’m actually in the process doing something similar myself using only C ( html / javascript on the client side ) . With libmongoose, and a custom API for appparsing a “custom” CANBus proto. Using IPC between two halves of the app . . . big can of worms I opened heh :wink:

Thanks to Robert!
I’m successfully cross-compiling my custom app w/ openCV from a Jessie PC to my BBB!
And, I’m now able to use bonescript and Cloud 9 as well.
I appreciate the help!