debian testing: 2015-01-19

Howdy!

I just pushed out a new set of images for a new year.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2015-01-19

Feature wise the Wheezy/Jessie images are now identical.

U-boot: v2015.01
U-Boot UMS (USB Mass Storage) enabled [ums 0 mmc 1]

For Wheezy:
Kernel: 3.8.13-bone69
cloud9: Lots of updates, now packaged as: (cloud9-installer)

For Jessie:
Desktop: lxqt 0.8.0 + qt 5.3.2
Kernel: 3.14.26-ti-r44
Init: systemd
Network: connman + cmst
cloud9:

Jessie release status; probably another 2-3 months:

https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/rcblog.cgi

Remember, for Jessie users who want overlay/etc, you'll need to downgrade:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.13-bone69
sudo reboot

Also for Jessie users, there is an omap5_uevm & bbx15 image for easier
QT 5.3.2 development.

Regards,

I just tried this, and realize now I’m confused. I thought “jessie” referred to the latest Debian. But I wanted a “console” build (I want as stripped-down an install as I can get), and I got a Debian 7.8 console image, but that’s not jessie, and it has a 3.8 kernel.

I thought you were trying to move past that kernel.

So, I’m confused. Enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry, I'm still working on a couple issues with the jessie lxqt
image. (to allow users an easy wheezy -> jessie transition)

Once i'm done with that, i'll strip down the jessie and provide a console image.

Regards,

Ah, okay, thanks! I did some searching. I take it "jessie" is Debian 8.x, and "wheezy" is Debian 7.x?

Ah, okay, thanks! I did some searching. I take it "jessie" is Debian 8.x, and "wheezy" is Debian 7.x?

That is correct.. "Jessie" or what will become of Debian 8, is still
not officially released, thus we call it "jessie" instead of "8.0" in
the img file name...

Regards,

In my world we'd say something like 8.0b1 or 8.0rc1, because it's immediately clear, but that sometimes has issues. Sometimes marketing version numbers change, and then you're screwed.

Well... "8.0b/8.0rc1/8.0etc" is reserved for debian.org to decide.

Right now it's purely a snapshot of the current state of "jessie"..

Regards,

Understood. Thanks for all the hard work, and I look forward to the console release!

OK, so nothing says I have to be right here, but what really is the difference between Jessie / Wheezy. In the context of just “us” (beaglebone’s, etc ). Because, the last testing image that I was able to spend some time with seemed exactly like what I’m imaging Jessie should be. EXCEPT we were still on the Wheezy repo’s. BY this, I mean systemd was installed seemingly by default, and everything I’v eread seems to indicate that Wheezy systemd is an apt-get install option.

Anyway the point I am eluding to for Rick M there is that, if you need something as close as possible to Jessie, you could just apt-get install linux-image-3.14.xx. Then be “fairly” close. You’d still be on the Wheezy package repo but . . .

Oh, I'm happy to wait. I want to get something that's as close to "stock" as possible.

In the long run, I'll be making a super-paired-down distro with the goal of booting (to running my app) in under two seconds.

“super-paired-down distro” <---- definition required. But only reason why i mention that Rick is that Robert has a minimal root fs that for me sits at about 70-75M. Fully functional, but with stuff even like openssh-server missing.

For going much smaller than 60-75M though you’re talking BusyBox . . .

Anyway, glad to talk more on that subject if you’re game.

"super-paired-down distro" <---- definition required. But only reason why i mention that Rick is that Robert has a minimal root fs that for me sits at about 70-75M. Fully functional, but with stuff even like openssh-server missing.

For going much smaller than 60-75M though you're talking BusyBox . . .

Anyway, glad to talk more on that subject if you're game.

I would like to talk more. I've seen some presentations and demos of Linux booting in under a second. That's my primary goal. Secondary is maximizing the free space on the eMMC for content (in my case, MP3 files). I haven't really tried doing a lot in this regard for now, but would like to over the next three months.

And, I probably want to hang on to sshd, since logging in is helpful. But long-term, if it can run my C++ app and the node.js UI I'm building on top of it, and get the C++ app up and running in under 2 seconds, I'll be very happy (the node.js can take longer to start). I'll need Wi-Fi networking, and even that can come up after the C++ app has started, so long as the C++ app can reliably keep trying to make a network connection.

"super-paired-down distro" <---- definition required. But only reason why i mention that Rick is that Robert has a minimal root fs that for me sits at about 70-75M. Fully functional, but with stuff even like openssh-server missing.

For going much smaller than 60-75M though you're talking BusyBox . . .

Anyway, glad to talk more on that subject if you're game.

I would like to talk more. I've seen some presentations and demos of Linux booting in under a second. That's my primary goal. Secondary is maximizing the free space on the eMMC for content (in my case, MP3 files). I haven't really tried doing a lot in this regard for now, but would like to over the next three months.

Usually those presentations are also trying to '$ell' their software
stack to do that.

And, I probably want to hang on to sshd, since logging in is helpful. But long-term, if it can run my C++ app and the node.js UI I'm building on top of it, and get the C++ app up and running in under 2 seconds, I'll be very happy (the node.js can take longer to start). I'll need Wi-Fi networking, and even that can come up after the C++ app has started, so long as the C++ app can reliably keep trying to make a network connection.

Regards,

Sounds like you might something derived from Yocto Project. We just
had a presentation at my hackerspace about the Yocto Project and Open
Enea Linux:
http://www.meetup.com/NERP-Not-Exclusively-Raspberry-Pi/events/219669847/

The speaker, Mark Mills of Enea, gave a demo of running Open Enea
Linux on a BeagleBone Black. It appeared to give the flexibility of
Yocto to tailor the system to your needs while also offering a large
number of binary packages:
http://www.enea.com/en-US/solutions/Enea-Linux/Open-Enea-Linux/

(Personally though I am partial to Debian and the Robert's console
images have always been sufficient for my needs)

cheers,
drew

There's also an opportunity for someone to work on the ubuntu core
"snappy", one of the big road blocks at my attempts at a < 64Mb debian
image... 'apt <-> dpkg <-> perl' is a big dependency..

Regards,

Hi, I posted regarding a rsyslog iisue that flooded the syslog with:

rsyslogd-2007: action ‘action 17’ suspended, next retry is Fri Jan 16 18:44:25 2015 [try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 ]

As journld works fine I suggest removing rsyslogd from the image.
Niv

Always reference the image name in issue reports. In this case I know your talking about Jessie, which is just a development snapshot.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=742113

Where Debian has decided this is not a bug, but merely a configuration issue.

Jessie is still in development, if you disagree with their decision, file a but ‘now’ before Jessie is released.

Regards’

I would like to talk more. I’ve seen some presentations and demos of Linux booting in under a second. That’s my primary goal. Secondary is maximizing the free space on the eMMC for content (in my case, MP3 files). I haven’t really tried doing a lot in this regard for now, but would like to over the next three months.

I have not personally got there Rick. But just a base minimalfs install, I’ve persnally seen 10-15s. Which is to say Roberts barefs install. No tweaks.

And, I probably want to hang on to sshd, since logging in is helpful. But long-term, if it can run my C++ app and the node.js UI I’m building on top of it, and get the C++ app up and running in under 2 seconds, I’ll be very happy (the node.js can take longer to start). I’ll need Wi-Fi networking, and even that can come up after the C++ app has started, so long as the C++ app can reliably keep trying to make a network connection.

So Roberts barefs install with just openssh-server sits at around 75-80M total on disk. I have not installed to eMMC yet but have had a working install with openssh-server @ around 80M or slightly less. Then with Nodejs + express + socket.io + very basic Nodejs app, we’re talking 175M. This for me included a ntp client, and a few other base packages like psmisc, and yeah, I’d have to check my install notes which I may / may not have with me at the moment ( I’m out of town again for a few weeks yet - again ).

But the main idea, that for me. I have a base install to do everything I need for a base “test-app” that can be displayed / configured via a web browser, in around 175-180M total space on disk. But to achieve this I needed a base install NFS share + a development NFS share. The development share is all the tools I needed to compile my own packages for the base install. Including all the dependencies for various “things”, and stuff like CheckInstall to build packages( debs) for my base install. Where the base image is just the bare minimum installed to run all the stuff I need . . . I know it sounds kind of wonky when i explain it this way. But perhaps when i get a spare week or so to lay it all out in a blog post it can / would sound a bit more coherent ? I have a lot of notes I need to put together . . . Plus I’ve been trying to get other things done such as trying to show others how to use / setup device tree files for 3.14.x.

I have not personally got there Rick. But just a base minimalfs install, I've persnally seen 10-15s. Which is to say Roberts barefs install. No tweaks.

My project is a "radio" that benefits greatly from a lighting-fast boot:

Antique Radio Podcast Player

I would imagine a great many BBB-based devices would benefit from very fast boot, although this is only necessary for deployment builds, not necessarily for development builds (e.g., you can leave in the u-boot delay on a development system).

So Roberts barefs install with *just* openssh-server sits at around 75-80M total on disk. I have not installed to eMMC *yet* but have had a working install with openssh-server @ around 80M or slightly less. Then with Nodejs + express + socket.io + very basic Nodejs app, we're talking 175M. This for me included a ntp client, and a few other base packages like psmisc, and yeah, I'd have to check my install notes which I may / may not have with me at the moment ( I'm out of town again for a few weeks yet - again ).

But the main idea, that for me. I have a base install to do everything I need for a base "test-app" that can be displayed / configured via a web browser, in around 175-180M total space on disk. But to achieve this I needed a base install NFS share + a development NFS share. The development share is all the tools I needed to compile my own packages for the base install. Including all the dependencies for various "things", and stuff like CheckInstall to build packages( debs) for my base install. Where the base image is just the bare minimum installed to run all the stuff I need . . . I know it sounds kind of wonky when i explain it this way. But perhaps when i get a spare week or so to lay it all out in a blog post it can / would sound a bit more coherent ? I have a lot of notes I need to put together . . . Plus I've been trying to get other things done such as trying to show others how to use / setup device tree files for 3.14.x.

I definitely don't need NFS, nor really the ability to build packages on the BBB. In fact, I'd love to get to where I'm cross-compiling everything, and building a tarball I can easily transfer over. Eventually, I want my app to be able to update itself, if not the entire filesystem.

Definitely the blog post will be good, and any good documentation on using device trees is critically important (there's too much out there about 3.8.x, and not enough about how to do it in 3.14+).

Rick:

You are building a tube radio simulator
Get some Orange LEDs and put them in the box under dimmer control.
Tell them the “boot delay” is the filaments warming up.
Why do you need 1 second? :slight_smile:

I time a BBB Rev C, booting off a uSD card with Debian 7.7 Console up and
running in 20 seconds. It would probably be even faster booting out of eMMC.
Occupies 217MB on the uSD.

— Graham

— Graham