debian testing: 2015-01-19

I definitely don’t need NFS, nor really the ability to build packages on the BBB. In fact, I’d love to get to where I’m cross-compiling everything, and building a tarball I can easily transfer over. Eventually, I want my app to be able to update itself, if not the entire filesystem.

You’re missing the point Rick. You do not NEED NFS, a rootfs can be any number of places. NFS share, sdcard eMMC, usb harddrive. Whatever. Also, you do realize how easy it is to move a root file system ? I use NFS only because I do not have to use “destructive” MMC media. While developing. Well it is also very convenient for being able to serve up multiple root file systems for various purposes. Anyway, if I could show you people how easy it is to use NFS shares are to use, then how easy it is to move file systems around under linux . . . I’m pretty sure at least half of you out there would be using multiple forms.

Anyway, yeah, cross compile Nodejs, and then write a blog, and share with the community/ Personally, I’d rather spend that time doing something else. It would be awesome if you did, do not get me wrong. But I do not think it is worth yours, or anyones time.

Definitely the blog post will be good, and any good documentation on using device trees is critically important (there’s too much out there about 3.8.x, and not enough about how to do it in 3.14+).

We’ll see. Right now I’m out of town and will be for at least a couple more weeks. It’d very doubtful I will write anything while out on the road.

I think we're talking at cross purposes here. I just want a BBB that boots very fast. Secondarily, I want to maximize space on the eMMC for content. Thirdly, I'd prefer to do builds on a host computer, not on the BBB. It's slow, and requires a bunch more stuff to be installed on it.

I just need to cross-build my binary and copy over the the files that make up my webserver. I can do that with scp. Every now and again I may need to cross-build linux. The less stuff in any of those steps, the faster everything goes.