Debugging Remote C/C++ application with Eclipse and Beaglebone black

Hi,
I am new in using the Eclipse IDE and the Beaglebone Black. I run a debian distribution in the beaglebone black (built from Robert C Nelson’s git )and the host machine is the debian gnu linux in Vmware , apparently the application is cross compiled with arm-linux-gnueabihf using the linaro toolchain. I have written a sample C/C++ code to flash the user led3 and it works perfectly.

Problem:

1). How to debug the code using the FTDI cable as suggested in the SRM and I intend to use a gdb debugger along with eclipse to step-in the program and see how it works.

Has anyone succeeded in setting up the debug environment in eclipse especially with the beaglebone black using the FTDI cable.

Thanking you,
Gibson.J

If you want to debug remotely then the easiest way to do it is through the ethernet connection and using gdbserver. There are plenty of tutorials online about how to do this.

Once you have figured out how to start and connect to gdbserver, then I would progress onto getting it working in eclipse, that is a bit harder and requires some eclipse specific knowledge, again there will be tutorials online if you search google.

Good Luck!
Jack.

To get started with BBB and Eclipse have a look at the blog of Derek Molloy. There you can find some video tutorials like this one.

http://derekmolloy.ie/beaglebone/setting-up-eclipse-on-the-beaglebone-for-c-development/

Hi,
I am new in using the Eclipse IDE and the Beaglebone Black. I run a debian distribution in the beaglebone black (built from Robert C Nelson’s git )and the host machine is the debian gnu linux in Vmware , apparently the application is cross compiled with arm-linux-gnueabihf using the linaro toolchain. I have written a sample C/C++ code to flash the user led3 and it works perfectly.

Problem:

1). How to debug the code using the FTDI cable as suggested in the SRM and I intend to use a gdb debugger along with eclipse to step-in the program and see how it works.

Has anyone succeeded in setting up the debug environment in eclipse especially with the beaglebone black using the FTDI cable.

You can only use gdbserver to debug user applications, not kernel mode code. If you want to use a USB100V2 FTDI based JTAG, you have to use Code Composer Studio from TI. Search Google for CCSV5. If you are using gdbserver, you simply start it on your BBB and specify the port that GDB will connect to. Then you can use any GDB based GUI to connect to the BBB using something like “gdb remote ”. I haven’t used this in a while, so you may want to check the exact form of the command. GDB is built into Eclipse, so you only have to setup a debug configuration and it will execute the same command. There are plenty of example on the net to show you how this is done. Remember to use the -g option when compiling to include the debug symbols.

Regards,
John