Default boot from SD card

Hi Beagle Board members,

How can I set default booting option as boot from SD card on Beagle
Board xM?

I am making a demo system with Beagle Board xM.
I want to make Beagle Board xM boot from SD card without selecting
boot option from hyper terminal.
Please, let me know how I can do it.

Thank you in advance.

Nara

Just plug it in. It defaults to the SD card out of the boax. There is no boot option other thna the SD card on the -xM.

Gerald

Yes, I figured out boot from SD is default.

Now I want to disable KITL and enable DHCP for network option.
Those my options are not saving, i.e. everytime when I boot up I need
to disable KITL and enable DHCP.
How I can save those network settings to flash to avoid serial
connection for every boot up?

Nara

There is no flash to save them to. You have to update your boot script to set the information on boot up.

Gerald

actually there is flash on firsts batch xM’s, and mostly you can brick it if you save envs to NAND (just clear NAND from uBoot to restore)

as noted, this is just in the first xM batch

Lioric

Yes I know. But it is being phased out and will not be supported after the next batch of boards are shipped. If you have a -01 board, then yes there is NAND there but it is ignored by all the drivers created for the -xM.

Gerald

You can't brick it since the xM boots from SD but default

Is the boot script part of OS or before OS boot up?
I am using WinCE 7 not linux.
Will WInCE7 have the boot script, too?

Nara

It is exectuted by Uboot and sets all the variables and configuration settings. I have no idea how WinCE7 does it.

Gerald

I found where I can change the boot options in WinCE 7.

main.c of bootloader source code determins all default boot option
values.
I need to modify and recompile it.

Then, new ebootsd.nb0 will be created.
It should be copied to SD card, then job done.

I hope this will help WinCE 7 developers in the future.

Nara

You can’t brick it since the xM boots from SD but default

Yes, you can brick it on xM -01 boards

So, exactly how can you brick an -xM? It can’t even boot from NAND unless of course you modify the board in some way by removing and soldering in resistors and then it wouldn’t be a -xM board any more.

Gerald

So, exactly how can you brick an -xM?

Compile a fw_printenv binary
cp to the bb (xM -01) with fw_setenv name
create a

Ahh, so you try using the NAND even though we tell you not to. I get it. Smart move!

Gerald

If it's truly bricked you would need jtag to fix it, so you just disproved your own point

even though we tell you not to. I get it. Smart move!

That was little rude, I think

was not the question just a HOW TO brick it? or it did include a how to brick it using what its offcially documented

Lioric

The point i am trying to make is that there are ways to abuse the board and make it to where it will not boot. The idea is that you should not be able to brick the board in normal use. The only reason the NAND was there is because that is the only part we get get to get the boards shipping. It was not supplied by our choice. That is the reason we said not to use the NAND and that it would be removed. Your decision to use the NAND while definitley within your right to do so, you have to admit that it was within the normal usage of the board. Which again is your right. I can brick a board without even turning it on to let the SW do it. So, there is no HW out there that is brick proof if you really set out to do it.

Gerald

Just to clarify, I was just answering to the question “So, exactly how can you brick an -xM? … wihtou modify the board in some way by removing and soldering in resistors”

and there is it how to brick it without hardware mods, nothing more nothing less. Nothing to do with ethics or morality or customer rigths or anything else, just a a straight answer

I have not started the topic, nor have complained about anything, or have asked how to recover a bricked xM that have been “abused” (this term is kind of a paradigm on a board marketed as a hackers and experimentation platform)

Anyway, nothing to see here, so let’s move on

Lioric

Understood and noted.

Gerald

Just to clarify, I was just answering to the question "So, exactly how can you brick an -xM? .... wihtou modify the board in some way by removing and soldering in resistors"

and there is it how to brick it without hardware mods, nothing more nothing less. Nothing to do with ethics or morality or customer rigths or anything else, just a a straight answer

And you still haven't shown how to brick it, since de-bricking would involve jtag. All you showed is a situation you can get out of with serload, which is not the same as 'bricked'. Over the years I've been doing this I've only bricked a board once (power brownout during uboot reflash). When we say the beagle is virtually unbrickable, that's because pretty much all the boot options (serload, pusb, sysboot pins) are available to the user.
So again, you did NOT brick it!