Designing a Power Supply Section for the BeagleBoneBlack

Hello Guys,

I need to design a power supply solution for my application.

I have 1x BeagleBoneBlack 2x XBee’s and a 5v700mA power consuming UART Device. So its 3 devices in total

BeagleBone--------------------------------- 800mA
2x XBeePro 2.4GHz modules---------400mA (Max?)
UART Device--------------------------------600mA
Total of :--------------------------------------1.8A.

Plan of action first was to have 1x Switching Regulator of 2A and Give power to the BeagleBone, UART Device and an LM1117 to feed the XBees (as the XBees run on 3.3v and not 5v). So i was using 2x Regulators here, 1 Switching for the main power and a linear (lm1117) for the XBees, now i came across the 3A/2A/2A output, Synchronous triple buck converter tps652510 .

1. Is it wise to use this in my application.?
  2. Does anyone have any experience with this regulator before?
  3. What can be the approximate footprint here?

Since its a cape i need it to be at-least in a 10cm x 10cm area with XBee mounting space.

There is also the TPS65253 with similar functionality but Dual output.

Now i am confused as to what to use.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin

And now I found

http://www.linear.com/product/LTC3633A-2

Dual Channel 3A, 20V
Monolithic Synchronous
Step-Down Regulator.

Help Someone

The LTC3633A is a great regulator, I’m using it on a project and it works quite well. I needed 5V and 3.3V from a 12V rail, so it was perfect for me, though a bit on the expensive side, and not ideal for hand soldering (not an issue for my project, since it’s for work). Also, it’s probably a bit overkill for what you’re doing, unless you need two separate power rails (different voltages or just separate rails). On the plus side, the LTC3633A has some great data sheets that basically shows you exactly how to design a power supply for “standard” voltages, such as 1.8V, 3.3V, and 5V, so you should be able to basically copy their schematic into your schematic capture program and be done.

-Ian