Did the Patch File for BBX15 from EEWIKI Change??

Hi,

Yesterday, for some reason, when I fetched the 2017.01 u-boot, it no longer runs on my 572xEVM/??BB-X15?? Nothing prints out on console and no lights blink around the SD Card. However, when I re-dd’ed MLO and u-boot.img to the SD Card fetched 2 months ago, using the same instructions for building the 2017.01 u-boot from, https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard-X15, it runs again. That SPL reports the CPU as DRA752-GP, ES2.0, and the Board as AM572x EVM Rev A3.

I noticed that the version of the u-boot patch file, 0001-beagle_x15-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch fetched yesterday was different than the same filename I ended up fetching about 2 months ago (and applying to 2017.01 u-boot) after doing a diff on the patch files.

Both times, I BELIEVE I got the patch from here: https:``//rcn-ee.com/repos/git/u-boot-patches/ti-2017.01/0001-beagle_x15-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch

Did the patch file change? My diff shows some changes with the addition of BB-X15 revc. If the patch file changed, is ti typical for the file name not to change as well (e.g. 0002-beagle…) ?

What do I need to do to make my target work again with the latest patch?

Thanks!!

Jeff

Hi,

Yesterday, for some reason, when I fetched the 2017.01 u-boot, it no longer
runs on my 572xEVM/??BB-X15?? Nothing prints out on console and no lights
blink around the SD Card. However, when I re-dd'ed MLO and u-boot.img to
the SD Card fetched 2 months ago, using the same instructions for building
the 2017.01 u-boot from,
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard-X15, it runs again. That
SPL reports the CPU as DRA752-GP, ES2.0, and the Board as AM572x EVM Rev A3.

i have that board in a box at home now, i really need to power it on
and test it..

I noticed that the version of the u-boot patch file,
0001-beagle_x15-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch fetched yesterday was different
than the same filename I ended up fetching about 2 months ago (and applying
to 2017.01 u-boot) after doing a diff on the patch files.

Both times, I BELIEVE I got the patch from here:
https://rcn-ee.com/repos/git/u-boot-patches/ti-2017.01/0001-beagle_x15-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch

Did the patch file change? My diff shows some changes with the addition of
BB-X15 revc. If the patch file changed, is ti typical for the file name not
to change as well (e.g. 0002-beagle....) ?

What do I need to do to make my target work again with the latest patch?

Yes the patch changes. Normally with u-boot that doesn't matter, as a
new rcX build is every few weeks.

However the git tree for the x15 is also changing:

http://git.ti.com/gitweb/?p=ti-u-boot/ti-u-boot.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-u-boot-2017.01

Regards,

Thanks Robert!

If there’s anything I can test here, let me know…

Is it maybe worthwhile to try the following or is there a mismatch between the latest TI tree and the older version of the bootz-n-fixes patch?

  1. git clone https:``//github.com/u-boot/u-boot

  2. checkout v2017.01 -b tmp

  3. git pull --no-edit git:``//git.ti.com/ti-u-boot/ti-u-boot.git ti-u-boot-2017.01

  4. patch -p1 < ``0001``-beagle_x15-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch (the version of this patch fetched 2 months ago).

Don’t know if this is a useful or erroneous datapoint, but I tested the above steps (2017.01 branch of u-boot with latest TI git tree merged in but patching with the older version of the 0001 … bootz-n-fixes patch file), and my 572xEVM appears dead…

FYI, jeff

Okay this is what i get with teh 572x evm

U-Boot SPL 2017.01-00349-g756f5e76a1 (Jul 06 2017 - 16:42:25)
DRA752-GP ES2.0
Trying to boot from MMC1

** Unable to use mmc 0:1 for loading the env **
Using default environment

<repeats>

Regards,

Thanks Robert!!

Sorry to eat into your weekend again…

My toolchain (5.4.1-2017.01) is a little older than the one on eewiki. Will upgrade it and retry.

Rgds, jeff

Ok,

???I must have done something wrong before or something really weird happened??? As TODAY when I git pull the TI patches from TI and apply the beagleX15 patch file, it works on my 572XEVM_ES2.X (with the touchscreen/LCD removed). For some reason, when I tried this last-Thursday (late afternoon CST), nothing would print to the console.
I’m still using the same linaro toolchain, gcc-linaro-5.4.1-2017.01-x86_64_ …

Thanks and FYI!

jeff

Ok, I did a quick tree diff on the patched 2017.01 u-boot from last-Thursday vs. the patched 2017.01 u-boot from today. Looks like there were some additional board variants that were potentially being supported in last-Thursday’s patch, but I don’t see that in today’s patched 2017.01 u-boot. If it’s worthwhile to analyze what the differences are, let me know… If not, I’m just happy to move on…

Thanks! jeff.