Do I Need To Use Bootargs To Boot From SD Card With Rev C4?

Hello,

Do I need to use bootargs in order to get the Rev C4 Beagleboard to boot from an SD card, or is booting the kernel automatic as long as the SD card is installed?

Thanks

Bob Cochran

Rev C4 is no different than the other revs in this regard. We use the boot scripts instead of boot args to boot the Beagle in the factory. That is all covered on the validation page where it describes what files to copy onto an SD card, including the boot scripts.

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleboardRevCValidation

You can use the bootargs if you wish and not use the boot scripts. That is really up to how you want to do it… But to get things started, I woul duse the boot scripts.

Gerald

It works, it works, it works! I had followed the wiki instructions which are here:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardBeginners#SD_card_setup

So I ended up setting bootargs. I booted into Linux off the SD card. I was even able to get X started over the HDMI to DVI cable. I need to configure the graphical environment better, I didn't specify a resolution to use in the bootargs. I have a lot to learn yet but I'm very pleased. Next step is to configure screen resolution and use boot scripts.

Bob

That is great news! I suggest you keep that SD card around so that as you change things if there is any doubt, you can awlays go back to it an make sure everything still works.

Gerald

I must note that out of the box you do NOT want to set bootargs, a recent u-boot will have a good default environment that you can control using helper variables like ‘dvimode’ instead of (re)writing bootargs.

It has been pointed out before that that wiki page has some horribly wrong instructions hidden between the good ones.

regards,

Koen

So, how do I nullify the bootargs that are presently in nand now...I had put then there?

Thanks

Bob

You can erase the NAND. The commands to do that are described on the validation page. This is the process it goes through before it flashes everything in NAND.

Gerald