Dude, where's my BeagleBone Black?

Sorry. Jason says it has to fit in the Altoids box. Originally the form factor was planned to be bigger, but that was a long time ago and before we shrunk it.

Yes, the next gen version will have a little bit more RAM and a little faster processor for you as well. And it will be bigger.

Gerald

Would SO-DIMM socketed memory be a viable option? This would free some
space on the board, but might complicate signal routing?

j.

The AM335x has only 16bits of data. SO-DIMM would be a big waste.

Gerald

We are not going to make a board without eMMC. Creating a bunch of different boards does not help.

If a manufacturer somewhere wants to make a board without eMMC, well, they just need to not put it on.

All the design material for making this board is and always has been freely available. Anybody can build a board if they want to. All the material is open source. It is all described on the WIKI.

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Terms_of_Use

But you cannot use the BeagleBone or BeagleBoard name. We control manufacturing. If we can’t control manufacturing, it won’t have the BeagleBoard name on it.

Gerald

Hey Bas,

Quick side question: was wondering if you’re able to run any PRU related test apps? I have an application that needs xenomai and the PRU(s) and had a hard time getting the standard-available debian eMMC image to play with xenomai and the pru nicely. I was able to quickly modify the cloud9-Angstrom build and add both xenomai where the pru module loads and ran the example apps fine, so off I went that route (with everything working except hdmi–ok for now). Debian offers some nice compatibility with folks I work with that use ROS, but don’t want to about-face finding that I can’t get xenomai or the PRU to work right…

thanks
–C

C Wong, quick side answer…
check out machinekit!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/machinekit

Hi,

the fact that you try to meet the incredible demand by allowing the element14 clones of the Beaglebone Black sounds good. In Europe, I have seen some of those boards in stock (at farnell) around April 8, but they seem to be all gone by now. Does anyone have an idea if there will be some new boards available in the near future (next few weeks)? Has anyone experienced significant differences with the clones? How about buying from China?

Thanks

It was out of stock at adafruit this morning but just received a message they were back in stock. I don’t know how many for how long.

Be prepared to order just as soon as you get that message and you too can be a proud owner!

Message from Adafruit Industries:
Thank you for ordering from Adafruit Industries,

This message was sent to you at the request of Adafruit Industries to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS.

On it’s way! Oh yeah!

-david

Wahoo! I got my order in right away.

Now I can use my Rev B in a permanent project and keep the C as something to play/learn with.

Thanks for this informative heads-up!
Does it mean that for bulk orders (we think of 1,000 or more pieces) there is no real plan how to go ahead? Of course, we would need a more or less reliable delivery slot. Or are you entering into a more widespread distribution and license scheme?
Also: is Rev C the only available rev from now on? Is it right to say that Rev A and B are not manufactured and available any more?

I think Embest has some bulk order arrangement set up for their board. You can try them. They build their own version and we allow them to use the name and logo in their advertising and marking. But at the end of the day, it is their product.

We have no plans for any different distribution scheme other than what we have now. And we have no plans for allowing anyone else to make Beagleboards You can certainly take the information provided and build it yourself with no restrictions…

Yes, REV C is the only one we will make. We will not be making old revisions.It is right to say that REV A and REV B are no longer available from us.

Gerald

Hello all, May I know when Rev C products will ship? I ask this because I have ordered a board in India and still it is unavailable (it also seems the same way around the globe). So please inform us regarding the availability. Thank you.

Had mine for over a week. They are shipping. India might be a bit of a problem.

-david

We have shipped about 5,200 of them,

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Board_Shipments

Gerald

Thank You Gerald for the reply. It seems I have to wait because the two messages sent to the distributor didnt fetch me a reply. Waiting…

still waiting… till…

dudes, is there now a fixed delivery date?

There was a promise for mid of may, now ist the begining of June - nothing changed…
If you ask at some dealer they expect with end of June… (but still with a maybe)

Isn´t that a kind of craziness, is it?

Not sure what distributor you are referring to. We are shipping. Now, where your distributor is on the list and where you are on that distributor list, I cannot answer.

http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Board_Shipments

Gerald

Just as a note, we had our purchasing department price quantity 1,000 of the BBB using the Rev C. documents with a San-Diego-based company we already use for other PCBs in our products.

They quoted us $128 per unit. So you can see that (a) the $55 for the Rev C board is quite a bargain (thank you, all), and (b) quantity and a willingness to make little or no profit have a huge impact on price.

Really appreciate Beagleboard.org’s willingness to create a great prototyping and maker tool. It’s a hell of a little board. Thanks Gerald, Jason, TI, and all the others involved.

Dear sir,
I am waiting for my BBB piece I have ordered it 2months back from INDIA with your distributor sumeetinstruments sumeetinstruments.com
And i am waiting eagerly but rply are like this it will take end of the month may be cant say. I just want to know when it might reach India
Please!
Thanks,
Rohan