eglibc is no longer developed

While building a crosstool-ng toolchain for my Mac, I noticed the following:

1. “ldd --version” on my BBB gives ‘Debian EGLIBC 2.13-38’

2. eglibc.org says that it is “no longer supported”

3. ct-ng recent issue response seems to state that they’re starting the process to remove it
    Still having some difficulties getting my cross-compile toolchain built for mac os x… but that’s to be expected.
    I’m also using ‘Lion’ (v10.6) which is two versions older than ‘Maverick’ or whatever… guess they ran out of cats…
    Hey, I just hate upgrading because it’s always involved from my development perspective.

Rather than make a public forum, I’d like to assess the situation.

• Should I be concerned that the debian distro uses eglibc?

• If I don’t use eglibc, I probably can build the toolchain, but I’m not sure how that will work out in the longrun?

• Is it possible that I can build a distro for my BBB that uses glibc instead? I saw that I can build the kernel in FAQ section, but I’m not sure about all the other drivers and such for peripherals?

• Are there any plans for beaglebone to migrate to a distro that uses glibc instead of eglibc, or is this a non-issue?

Meanwhile, I keep attempting to build a cross-compile toolchain for eclipse.

Yes, I have a virtual machine for Ubuntu 14.10… but that’s not the point… the VM can really slow my machine down, so I’d rather just work under Mac if possible.

Any suggestions or topics you might have for building a cross-compile toolchain for Mac OS X would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hans

"ldd --version" on my BBB gives 'Debian EGLIBC 2.13-38'
eglibc.org says that it is "no longer supported"
ct-ng recent issue response seems to state that they're starting the process
to remove it

Still having some difficulties getting my cross-compile toolchain built for
mac os x... but that's to be expected.
I'm also using 'Lion' (v10.6) which is two versions older than 'Maverick' or
whatever... guess they ran out of cats...
Hey, I just hate upgrading because it's always involved from my development
perspective.

Rather than make a public forum, I'd like to assess the situation.

Should I be concerned that the debian distro uses eglibc?

eglibc is just a fork of glibc...A few years back the maintainers of
glibc didn't care about secondary arch's such as "arm", but in the
last couple years that's changed. Debian switched back to "glibc",
and it is the default for Debian 8 Jessie..

If I don't use eglibc, I probably can build the toolchain, but I'm not sure
how that will work out in the longrun?
Is it possible that I can build a distro for my BBB that uses glibc instead?
I saw that I can build the kernel in FAQ section, but I'm not sure about all
the other drivers and such for peripherals?
Are there any plans for beaglebone to migrate to a distro that uses glibc
instead of eglibc, or is this a non-issue?

Yes, I have a virtual machine for Ubuntu 14.10... but that's not the
point... the VM can really slow my machine down, so I'd rather just work
under Mac if possible.

Any suggestions or topics you might have for building a cross-compile
toolchain for Mac OS X would also be appreciated.

Regards,

1. “ldd --version” on my BBB gives ‘Debian EGLIBC 2.13-38’

2. eglibc.org says that it is “no longer supported”

3. ct-ng recent issue response seems to state that they’re starting the process to remove it
    Still having some difficulties getting my cross-compile toolchain built for mac os x… but that’s to be expected.
    I’m also using ‘Lion’ (v10.6) which is two versions older than ‘Maverick’ or whatever… guess they ran out of cats…
    Hey, I just hate upgrading because it’s always involved from my development perspective.

Rather than make a public forum, I’d like to assess the situation.

• Should I be concerned that the debian distro uses eglibc?

• If I don’t use eglibc, I probably can build the toolchain, but I’m not sure how that will work out in the longrun?

• Is it possible that I can build a distro for my BBB that uses glibc instead? I saw that I can build the kernel in FAQ section, but I’m not sure about all the other drivers and such for peripherals?

• Are there any plans for beaglebone to migrate to a distro that uses glibc instead of eglibc, or is this a non-issue?

Yes, I have a virtual machine for Ubuntu 14.10… but that’s not the point… the VM can really slow my machine down, so I’d rather just work under Mac if possible.

Any suggestions or topics you might have for building a cross-compile toolchain for Mac OS X would also be appreciated.

The biggest problem you will find is that OSX uses very old version of awk, sed, make, grep, etc so a lot of the scripts you use to build rootfs, kernels, u-boot, etc don’t always work. Best to look at GNU compatible versions of these tools like MacPort, HomeBrew, Fink and this might help make thing easier.

Regards,
John

I highly recommend Homebrew, and getting recent versions of these tools should be trivial using it. I'd also love to be able to cross-compile from OS X to Linux (using LLVM, no less). The LLVMLinux work makes it possible to build the Linux kernel with LLVM, so it should be doable.