Element14 BeagleBlack, EEPROM Serial Collision

Hello

For a project we have a couple of BBB. We have ordered them from Element14 .

The problem we have is that the 32kb eeprom is EXACTLY the same for boards that have a following serial number.

ex : 4002112 has the same eeprom as 4002111

This is unacceptable for us, as we had planned to use that as a unique ID (since it’s supposed to be !!)

Apart from reprogramming the eeprom ourselves (a pain as all BBB have been put in enclosures already … ), does anyone have a solution ?

Thank you

For a project we have a couple of BBB. We have ordered them from Element14 .

The problem we have is that the 32kb eeprom is EXACTLY the same for
boards that have a following serial number.

ex : 4002112 has the same eeprom as 4002111

This is unacceptable for us, as we had planned to use that as a unique
ID (since it's supposed to be !!)

You might use the Ethernet interface MAC address to identify the units, as it is unique for each unit. I also think the AM335x 1GHz ARM® Cortex-A8 have serial numbers (the Beagleboard prints it to the serial console during boot) which might also be used to identify different units.

Christian

We use the MAC address, as suggested by Christian. “Works for us.”

Well, can’t speak for E14, but this is not correct and violates our specification.

Gerald

i’m sure it does Gerald
I can send eeprom dumps if necessary, tryed to find a way to get in contact on E14 website, but gave up after trying to find my way on their huge website. If you have a contact i’ll gladly sort it out with them.

I contacted my contacts at E14. I have yet to get a response.

Gerald

I have just received a batch of RevC boards, and eeprom seems to be programmed correctly. I have yet to test them all out, but serial number uses all digits, and eeprom is “cleaner”
(old eeprom had the string 123456789ABCDEF couple of bytes after the serial number)

The one i had trouble with were Rev A5

Thank you for the information. I heard back from E14, they said they were checking. Sounds like everything before Rev C is not up to spec.

Gerald