ELinux BeagleBoardBeginners modification?

Hi,

I started playing with a beagleboard C4, so I followed the steps described in the eLinux wiki for beginners.
I believe that in the last part (“setting up the boot args”) it’s necessary to clarify that when the beagleboard boots from the sd card, the uboot used is the one in the sd card (the current version of u-boot), so it’s not necessary to setenv the bootargs and bootcmd; I think that it’s also necessary to write that if you accidentally did a saveenv, you can restore the default values for bootargs and bootcmd for a revC board using ‘nand erase 260000 20000’

A question: I don’t have a digital monitor at hand, so is it possible to see the booting process/console in the serial channel?

best regards,
Pedro

Hi,

I started playing with a beagleboard C4, so I followed the steps described in the eLinux wiki for beginners.
I believe that in the last part (“setting up the boot args”) it’s necessary to clarify that when the beagleboard boots from the sd card, the uboot used is the one in the sd card (the current version of u-boot), so it’s not necessary to setenv the bootargs and bootcmd; I think that it’s also necessary to write that if you accidentally did a saveenv, you can restore the default values for bootargs and bootcmd for a revC board using ‘nand erase 260000 20000’

Pedro, elinux.org is a community wiki. If you have useful information that should be added, please feel free to add it. Please ensure you’ve verified the information through thorough testing first. Also, I’ve read that section again and I’m not sure your addition would clarify or actually make the explanation more confusing, but perhaps that’s just me.

A question: I don’t have a digital monitor at hand, so is it possible to see the booting process/console in the serial channel?

Yes, the kernel boot messages are normally output to the serial console. If you’ve booted your board, I assume you’ve likely discovered this already.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response,

Pedro, elinux.org is a community wiki. If you have useful information that should be added, please feel free to add it. Please ensure >you've verified the information through thorough testing first. Also, I've read that section again and I'm not sure your addition would >clarify or actually make the explanation more confusing, but perhaps that's just me.

I have followed the steps described (setenv bootargs&bootcmd + saveenv), and I got a message about that it can't find the image in the sd card; I reverted to the initial settings with the nand erase command and the board seems to boot (see below); so I guess that it could be a good idea to add the nand erase stuff to the wiki, but I am a rookie in this, so I would like to have others opinion before put my hands in that page, taking into account that everybody who starts with the beagle reads it.

A question: I don't have a digital monitor at hand, so is it possible to see the booting process/console in the serial channel?

Yes, the kernel boot messages are normally output to the serial console. If you've booted your board, I assume you've likely >discovered this already.

When the board boots, gets into the part with the dots (................done, booting the kernel.) and hangs there. I assumed that the boot process was displayed in the dvi output; should I assume that the board hangs and I did something wrong? Thanks in advance for the chelp.

best regards,
Pedro

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response,

Pedro, elinux.org is a community wiki. If you have useful information that should be added, please feel free to add it. Please ensure >you’ve verified the information through thorough testing first. Also, I’ve read that section again and I’m not sure your addition would >clarify or actually make the explanation more confusing, but perhaps that’s just me.

I have followed the steps described (setenv bootargs&bootcmd + saveenv), and I got a message about that it can’t find the image in the sd card; I reverted to the initial settings with the nand erase command and the board seems to boot (see below); so I guess that it could be a good idea to add the nand erase stuff to the wiki, but I am a rookie in this, so I would like to have others opinion before put my hands in that page, taking into account that everybody who starts with the beagle reads it.

Feel free to add your findings. If all else fails, someone will follow along and correct it in the future (if it’s incorrect).

Yes, the kernel boot messages are normally output to the serial console. If you’ve booted your board, I assume you’ve likely >discovered this already.

When the board boots, gets into the part with the dots (…done, booting the kernel.) and hangs there. I assumed that the boot process was displayed in the dvi output; should I assume that the board hangs and I did something wrong? Thanks in advance for the chelp.

If you’re booting a kernel > 2.6.32, the console setting should be console=ttyO2

Note that that what appears to be a zero in that command is actually an uppercase ‘O’, as in OMAP.

Hi Bill,

If you're booting a kernel > 2.6.32, the console setting should be console=ttyO2

I have a Kernel 2.6.32 (angstrom-Beagleboard-demo-image from Angstrom demo images link), I will try the other images.

Note that that what appears to be a zero in that command is actually an uppercase 'O', as in OMAP.

I changed to 'console=ttyO2' and I am not seeing the boot process, but probably is because I am using a 2.6.32 kernel; I will try the other ones. Thanks for the clarificatoins

best regards,
Pedro