Emergency BBB

WOW! I don’t even know where to begin. First off, I have been very interested in a BeagleBoard for quite sometime now, probably since they came out. I wasn’t sure which area to post this up in so if there is a more suitable area, please accept my apologies. Anyway I have a huge project I am working on and have a number of questions. So let me start with telling you all about my project.

I am a ham radio operator and have recently been appointed as the ARES Emergency Coordinator for my county. What I have started on. is making a mesh network for emergency deployment. I want to add VOIP/SIP functionality to the mesh also and I was pointed to the RPi PBX stuff which eventually landed me here with questions. :slight_smile:

1. How does a BBB with PBX software get integrated into a mesh network?
    1a. Does the mesh network even come into the picture? I am trying to figure out where/how the BBB comes into play.

2. If something happened to the BBB and somehow (im just thinking worst case scenario) the BBB is not bootable (hardware still in working order though) either during a drill or actual emergency, is there a way to get it up and running QUICK? I’m thinking like a second (backup) SD card or an image stored somewhere to re image the SD so it becomes bootable. Not sure exactly how they work/boot.

3. What all is needed (software/hardware) to turn the BBB into a reliable PBX?

4. Not to take away from the BBB’s amazingly awesome capabilities, but is there perhaps a better PBX solution for my type of application?

Sorry for all of the questions but these are the things I need to figure out before deciding what I am going to do to reach the goal I am looking for on the project. Thank you in advance for the help on this. I know I’m asking a lot.

1. If something happened to the BBB and somehow (im just thinking worst case scenario) the BBB is not bootable (hardware still in working order though) either during a drill or actual emergency, is there a way to get it up and running QUICK? I’m thinking like a second (backup) SD card or an image stored somewhere to re image the SD so it becomes bootable. Not sure exactly how they work/boot.

In our product the BBB communicates with a web server, reporting information and accepting a number of commands, including updates of our software. If something crashes such that we can’t communicate with it, there is an SD card duct-taped to the bottom of the box (well, more elegant, but you get the idea). This does mean that someone needs to be physically present to effect a recovery, but that does not sound like a limitation in your case. So far we’ve not needed to actually use this; it’s a safety net. I can’t speak to your other questions.