Error while doing a apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gtkterm and,…
gtkterm -s 115200 -p /dev/ttyACM0 brings up a window but i can’t type anything in it…

Oh, so "journalctl" is how we access the log with a systemd system.

By default, we setup a multi usb interface: usb flash, usb ethernet
(which we are debuggin) and a usb serial gadget.

So use "gtkterm" it's the easist gui program, and run:

gtkterm -s 115200 -p /dev/ttyACM0

This will give you a serial interface into the bbb..

Next run: (inside the bbb)

journalctl | grep usb0
journalctl | grep -i dhcp

That'll tell us what "usb0" is doing and we will see why "udhcpd"
isn't doing what it's suppost to..

Regards,

Cornelius, if you’re unable to access your beaglebone how is it that you’re able to give us this information ? Anyway, what Robert is saying he thinks ( or knows ) the gadget serial device is active.

And now I see, you’re running these commands from your host which is not what at least I intended.

This complicates things some. I have some ways around your problem ( yes multilple ways ), but they’re rather complex. Perhaps Robert would have an easier suggestion than manually setting the IP on host, and beagleboard via sdcard reader, and all that . . .

Ahhh i see,…thing is,…i don’t have a serial cable connection from the BBB to my laptop though…hence, I will not be able to debug any further, correct?

Currently, BBB is plugged in through USB.

Doh, yeah there's that bug too..

I've been seeing that happen on my debian stretch workstations at home/work..

the serial works in windows 10 :wink: (bang my head against the wall...)

i think that's actually kernel related, there's been a lot of gadget
driver changes in kernel land..

Regards,

William, what information were you referring to? Well, the BBB is detected in my linux file-system but i can’t access it via ssh through USB after flashing the latest debian image that Robert proposed earlier on. However, with debian 7.8 running off the eMMC, I get a 192.168.7.2 as soon as I plug the BBB into the USB port of my laptop… this I found quite perplexing. Hence,…here I am. =-)

Hope this explains things a little better?

@Robert, would it be easier to just use an older, or newer image from sdcard ? Or would that do anything in the way of being able to read the logs from eMMC ?

@Robert,
I see,…that was why I recalled posting a finding on the forum mentioning that after flashing debian 7.9 and 8.3, one would face that missing 192.168.7.2 issue. This does not occur in debian 7.8.

Yeah,…I had a funny feeling it might be linked to some kernel issues with the recent debian images.:frowning:

William, what information were you referring to? Well, the BBB is detected in my linux file-system but i can’t access it via ssh through USB after flashing the latest debian image that Robert proposed earlier on. However, with debian 7.8 running off the eMMC, I get a 192.168.7.2 as soon as I plug the BBB into the USB port of my laptop… this I found quite perplexing. Hence,…here I am. =-)

Hope this explains things a little better?

Well yes, and no. Robert apparently picked up right away those commands were being issued on your host, but I did not realize that, until you mentioned you were running Mint. I assumed you were running a Mac, based on the ethernet IP address your machine pulled, but that was just a guess. Some Linuxes pull in the 10.* range too . . .

Anyway, I do have some suggestions where we might proceed from here, but hoping Robert comes up with a better / easier suggestion. These suggestions I have are rather complex, easier to screw up, and rather long winded . . .

@William,

Yep, you are absolutely right!
I was intending to ssh BBB via USB the same way I did after flashing debian 7.8 with the latest debian image but found that I couldn’t cos’ of the missing ip-address.

Yes, it would be wonderful for newbies like me if there would be an ip-address dished out by the DHCP in the BBB with the latest debian images as soon as one plugs it into the USB though.=)

@Robert,

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how do I get this serial connector thingy working, please?
Is there some kind of gadget which I can buy off the shelf in an electronics store or do I have to assemble one by hand?

Cornelius,

I think probably for the time being, the best, and easiest solution would be for you to switch back to Wheezy 7.8, or 7.9. Then, you can upgrade to a newer 4.1.x kernel from there, and still have everything work correctly.

Then come back everyone once in a while an try a standalone image. Which if you’re unaware of the differences. A standalone image runs off an sdcard, instead of flashing the eMMC.

These newer Jessie images seem to still have issues, but if you give Robert a little while, I’m sure he’ll eventually get the problems ironed out.

Alright then, William.

As advised, I will reflash BBB with debian 7.8 and work from there.

Thank you and Robert so much for your patience and help.

Regards,
Cornelius

Hi all,

Just an update.
I have re-flashed the BBB with debian 7.8 and upgraded the kernel from
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Kernel_Upgrade

After a reboot, I am not able to log into the BBB via USB through ssh 192.168.7.2.

Regards,
Cornelius

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 12:03:37 +0800, Cornelius Lee
<super.c.leee@gmail.com> declaimed the
following:

Ahhh i see,..thing is,..i don't have a serial cable connection from the BBB
to my laptop though...hence, I will not be able to debug any further,
correct?

Currently, BBB is plugged in through USB.

You shouldn't need a dedicated serial cable.

At least, in a quick test (using the Nov Wheezy image), and on a
Windows box, connecting my BBB resulted in device manager showing a COM12
("Gadget Serial") device. Opening a simple terminal program using COM12
(115200@8N1) gave me a log-in prompt. Of course, on whatever OS you are
using, the serial ports will likely have different nomenclature. If you are
"lucky" the serial port will appear/disappear when you connect/disconnect
the BBB -- so monitoring the device entry in your OS should identify what
name the port is getting.

Now to my knowledge, the BBB USB connection activates: a card reader
interface (at least it did with those older images; don't know if the new
"no FAT partition" images still mount that); a direct serial port
interface; and the Ethernet over USB interface.

I'll admit I've not tried to use the USB Ethernet connection; Don't
want to hassle with Windows Connection Sharing, so it is faster just to
CAT5 to my 8-port switch and use the router. (Yes, switch and router...
WiFi router had limited number of ports and was out-of-the-way, so one of
its ports feeds a more accessible switch).

g_ether works fine on the Wheezy images, but I think an image or two default to g_serial being setup by default. So either you’ll have to use the serial over USB interface, or change the default configuration to use g_ether instead. This can be done from a host computer, if the given host computer has an sdcard reader. You’d setup an sdcard imge so you can boot from sdcard in order to modify the eMMC image . . . as I said initially, it is semi complex. But perfectly doable.

ah crap.. it's the "RT"...

gtkterm -s 115200 -p /dev/ttyACM0

linux-image-4.1.18-ti-r52 = works on linux
linux-image-4.1.18-ti-rt-r52 = FAILS on linux (except for on windows)

Regards,