However, I’ve tried various methods to extract the image file and it doesn’t work… I used 7-Zip which fails telling me the image is corrupt, and I’ve also downloaded several free utils to unzip .xz files which extract a file of 2MB!
I’ve also tried downloading the image several times, and always the same issue…
I have disabled my Antivirus and tried many times, I’ve also used the MD5sum as suggested, but each time the checksum is different (and not the one suggested on the site). When I try to extract with 7-Zip, it extracts a maximum of 20MB and then fails telling me the file is corrupt. Most of the time it only extracts 2 - 4 MB before giving an error…
I am 99.9% certain I am doing everything correctly, it’s asthough there is a problem with this image file or the hosted server I’m attempting to download from
Does the computer your are doing the download to, connect to the
internet by a wireless link at some point?
If so, try doing the download with a wired connection (either on that
computer, or from another).
(I once had a similar problem. I downloaded a 1-gig file about six
different times, over a wireless link. Each time there were several
bits (out of the ~8 billion!) that were wrong, which of course showed
up in the hash/checksum. And there were *no* TCP errors reported.
The first time I downloaded it with a wired connection, it worked
properly. A friend of mine suggested this to me, he said that some
cheap wireless routers can do this (make bit errors, and generate TCP
checksums from the erroroneous data)).
Cheers, certainly worth a try… odd though how it managed to download the image from CircuitCo.com without any issues, and I’ve never had problems downloading huge files in the past (such as Ubuntu etc). I wouldn’t mind, it’s not a cheap wireless router either!
This works fine, and I managed to get the old image updated with the above kernel files, compiled directly on the BeagleBone… However, I don’t want to use these kernel source files but I won’t want to end up with reverting the fixes / patches and updates applied in the latest version of the image
Sorry again for the beginner questions, I’m no linux expert, and just learning my way around…