Failing to connect

I have spent the last few days trying to get a Beaglebone Black (revision A5B) to actually work, so far with limited success.

If I plug it into my PC, running Linux Mint 16, using the USB client socket and then enter its IP address (192.168.7.2) I get the BeagleBone 101 page with the 6 * 3 picture montage. Instead of the green box confirming I’m connected however, I get an orange box inviting me to to type in the IP address again. Doing so, and pressing Enter, has no effect. The cursor continues to flash. There is a possibility this is caused by my security software but, at the moment, I cannot find the cause.

I can SSH into the BBB and confirm the OS is installed. The heartbeat and CPU activity leds are flashing happily.

Anyone with any suggestions?

As an aside, has anyone managed to connect to the USB Host connector and the micro HDMI socket simultaneously? I’d like to replace two Arduinos and their associated pile of interface circuitry with a BBB to reduce the power consumption and to speed up the data processing on an ‘intelligent’ mobile robot. I’m reluctant to use a Pi as I wanted to publish something different.

A final aside, just how do you turn a BBB off. The power switch has no effect and, if some of the comments on the forums are to be believed, pulling the plug can wreck the software.

Regards

haha

It sounds like you have an old broken version...

cat /etc/dogtag

Regards,

It sounds like you have an old broken version…

cat /etc/dogtag

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought I’d updated the software using BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-14-2gb.img but, as you suggested, checked the dogtag file only to receive the reply

root@beaglebone:~# cat /etc/dogtag
Cloud9 GNOME Image 2013.05.20

Have to try updating again. Not sure if I need to install the Angstrom software rather than my preferred Debian version . I’ll try both and see what happens.

Thanks again

haha