Future of BeagleBone (Black)?

Hi,

I’m aware of the fact that there can’t be a obligatory answer to my question, so I’m happy with any kind of rumours and rough ideas:

As far as I know TI does not further develop the AM335X series, more than this I remember an article where they stated they drop the whole mobile devices marked where this CPU was intended for originally. So I don’t think there will be a multi core variant of this Sitara SoC or even a version with higher clock.

So: what future could be there for the BeagleBone (Black)? Will there be a somehow compatible successor? Or what else is planned?

Thanks!

Karl

Well, there's the upcoming X15.
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoard-X15

And if I were a betting man, I'd put a few dollars on there eventually
being a small version of that, as much as the BBB is a small version of
the larger Board/Board xM thing.

P.

BeagleBone Black at this point has no processor future due to TI’s dead end road map.

We are working on the BeagleBoard-X15 which is the next product to come out. Due to the form factor of the BBB, it cannot support the AM5728 processor. The BBB is just too small, but it does fit in the Altoids box.

Gerald

at what point will units be available? i wouldn't mind starting to
move over my embedded linux and device driver courseware to the X15,
at least in preparation for when the final units come out.

rday

If I knew that, I would have mentioned that. I would say maybe late September. We hope to have a few beta boards in about 6 weeks. Jason is handling who gets those boards. Right now, we are going back into layout to fix yet another TI “feature”.

Gerald

If I knew that, I would have mentioned that. I would say maybe late September. We hope to have a few beta boards in about 6 weeks. Jason is handling who gets those boards. Right now, we are going back into layout to fix yet another TI “feature”.

Will the cape interface stay the same?

Philip

Nope, and don't mention stuff like that, we don't want to give Gerald
a heart attack..

Regards,

Hi, where did you get those information? Where did Texas say that it is over for the am335x?

This processor and board is no where near compatible with capes. Totally different connectors.
Gerald

Here are a couple of pictures.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoard-X15

Gerald

4 x 4.5 inches is still pretty darned small. Especially considering what is on the board. Looking forward to the board, even if not the price :confused:

Small is a relative term. This thing has been one big headache after another.

Gerlad

TI and their "features" eh lol

May 19th 2015 16.39.22 UTC+2 Karl/Gerald/Mickae1 wrote:

As far as I know TI does not further develop the AM335X series, more than this I remember an article where they stated they drop the whole mobile devices marked where this CPU was intended for originally.
BeagleBone Black at this point has no processor future due to TI’s dead end road map.
Hi, where did you get those information? Where did Texas say that it is over for the am335x?

Second that, sources and/or further insights would be nice if this is general knowledge affecting development prioritizations. Might lead to better understanding out here for the lack of attention to the current BeagleBone {W,B,G} products.

Finding no publicly communicated indications of TI reconsidering mobile, Sitara or AM335x. Officially AM3358 is marked as active on http://www.ti.com/product/AM3358, and http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/p/152524/560202 describes 10 years availability of AM335x (released 2011-10-31). I guess then that manufacturing of BBB based designs is possible until 2021 (at least processor wise).

But I hear your saying that we shouldn’t expect further developments and a bright shiny future for the current incarnation of the BeagleBone boards?

Mikkel

May 19th 2015 16.39.22 UTC+2 Karl/Gerald/Mickae1 wrote:
>>> As far as I know TI does not further develop the AM335X series, more
than this I remember an article where they stated they drop the whole mobile
devices marked where this CPU was intended for originally.
>> BeagleBone Black at this point has no processor future due to TI's dead
end road map.
> Hi, where did you get those information? Where did Texas say that it is
over for the am335x?

Second that, sources and/or further insights would be nice if this is
general knowledge affecting development prioritizations. Might lead to
better understanding out here for the lack of attention to the current
BeagleBone {W,B,G} products.

TI's roadmap's are kinda funny..

While there is no pin for pin am335x++, the "am43xx" is the sudo
sucessor to the am335x...

Finding no publicly communicated indications of TI reconsidering mobile,
Sitara or AM335x. Officially AM3358 is marked as active on
http://www.ti.com/product/AM3358, and
http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/p/152524/560202 describes 10
years availability of AM335x (released 2011-10-31). I guess then that
manufacturing of BBB based designs is possible until 2021 (at least
processor wise).

Correct, 10 year plan unless something major happens.. The am335x has
been a pretty good success..

But I hear your saying that we shouldn't expect further developments and a
bright shiny future for the current incarnation of the BeagleBone boards?

There's other 3rd party boards, such as seeed studio's BeagleBone Green. :wink:

Regards,

If "small" is a relative term, and BBB cape compatibility is not on the table, can you aim for "slim"?
By which I mean - no double height USB connectors, etc.

Apple have a lot to answer for, making laptops and phone thinner every year.
The problem is, customers start to want thin even when there's no real need.
Using a folded cable to put an LCD on the back of a Dev board helps, and side-mount expansion sockets help too.

--Alan Campbell

There is not a better processor available from TI that can fit into the Altoids box sized BBB. We have a processor that is much better but will not fit on the baoad. So we are doing the X15. Not sure how else to say it.

We will be building the BBB for a very long time.

Gerald

This is good news. To give it some numbers, will it be 3, 4, 5 or more
years?

Karl

As long as there are processors. I would say at least 5 to 10. But that is TI’s call. You might ask Jason what TI’s plans are for availability.

Gerald

We will be building the BBB for a very long time.

This is good news. To give it some numbers, will it be 3, 4, 5 or more
years?

The general plan is to continue shipping a BeagleBoard.org product 10
years after launch. BeagleBone Black launched in 2013.