Gadget Printer module g_printer Not Sending iPNPstring

I setting up a BBB to act as a printer interface for an embedded system with limited printer support. The embedded system is linux based and used a 2009 version of cups.

I have a working system when I test it on OSX, however when I plug it into a linux system cups does not recognise the printer as the iPNPstring (IEEE 1284 Device ID) is not being sent.

It makes no difference whether I set the iPNPstring when inserting the module or not. I use the following command used to insert module, as a temporary measure I have copied the details from a printer which is recognised.

modprobe g_printer iProduct="Test" idVendor=1193 idProduct=5942 iManufacturer="Canon" iPNPstring="MFG:Canon;CMD:MultiPASS 2.1;MDL:MX320 series FAX;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon MX320 series FAX;" iSerialNum="1234" bcdDevice=261

I am using kernel 3.8.13-bone74, has anyone got this working and if so which kernel version are you using.

Phil

Output of /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb on host with BBB plugged in.

DEBUG: list_devices
DEBUG: libusb_get_device_list=3
DEBUG: Switching USB device configuration: 0 -> 1
DEBUG: Failed to set configuration 1 for 04a9:1736
DEBUG2: Printer found with device ID: Device URI: usb://Unknown/Printer?interface=1
direct usb://Unknown/Printer?interface=1 "Unknown" "Unknown" "" ""
DEBUG: Switching USB device configuration: 0 -> 1
DEBUG: Failed to set configuration 1 for 04a9:1736
DEBUG2: Printer found with device ID: Device URI: usb://Unknown/Printer?interface=2
direct usb://Unknown/Printer?interface=2 "Unknown" "Unknown" "" ""

Hi Phil,

I was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of the issue you describe? I’m facing a similar issue myself?

Martin

I did get this working, by moving to Debian Jessie, kernel 4.x. This issue seems to be fixed in the later kernels.