GSoC 2015 - BoneScript

Dear all

My name is Ehab, I am a third year student studding computer engineering,
I have a good experience in web development and the hardware one as well.
So I found the BoneScript project from the last GSoC very interesting to me,
Will it be continue to GSoc 2015 ? If so, can you tell everything that I should
know about the project. I believe that I will do very will on this one.

regards,

Any updates yet ??

Ehab,

Do you have a board? It would be great for learning to get your hands on one. The API reference is at http://beagleboard.github.io/bone101 and needs to be updated. I suggest playing with that first to build up a base understanding. There are some Node tutorials out there as well you’ll want to try to make sure you know the language. http://nodejs.org/documentation/tutorials/

What I want first is a full set of test cases that gives decent code coverage. After that, I’d want a complete re-write of the library to better style it for the best async operation while still supporting synchronous calls such that you can do var i = b.digitalRead(‘P9_25’); and keep that working.

Regards,
Jason

Actually I don’t have the board yet, as I chose this project because of my knowledge in js,
However, I’ll try to get it as soon as possible and let you know if there is new updates.

Regards,

What experience do you have and what motivates you to contribute to BeagleBoard.org?

Well, recently most of the projects that I worked on was software projects, as I have a good
experience in C, C++, Java and web languages like RoR and php as well as JS, JQuery, Ajax
and Node.js, but I also have worked with embedded projects lately I have done something
like controlling RC car with the android using arduino, and I’m planing to build a quadcopter
with BBB, I’ve read a lot about the board but I didn’t have the chance to try it yet, I’m looking
forward to contribute to its open source projects if I am qualified enough to do so. As I do love
open sources projects.

Maybe you can take a look at Diego’s work from last year as well as BeagleLogic.net and BeagleBone-UI from Jenn Thomas and the KinomaJS interface and make some solid suggestions how to improve on what Diego did. We need it merged into Bone101 to make a shareable tutorial system to help people learn electronics. I’d like to hear what you think you can do.

OK Jason, after a quick tour on Diego’s work and the bonescript in general
I’ve some questions, is this project is just all about creating tutorials on how
things work with bonescript, coz I though that I’ll work on the code and add
new features to it. If it’s so, is that me who suggest the tutorials’ idea or you
pick some and I work on them. One more thing -It’s is just a suggestion- couldn’t
it be a fully functioning web framework and for bonescript using RoR for example
and build a community around it to let people interact more and share there projects

OK Jason, after a quick tour on Diego’s work and the bonescript in general
I’ve some questions, is this project is just all about creating tutorials on how
things work with bonescript, coz I though that I’ll work on the code and add
new features to it.

No, not just BoneScript. The nice thing about BoneScript is that the RPC mechanism to run programs from web pages is built-in. Tutorials can be copy-paste for the code sections or you can submit patches to integrate with Cloud9 IDE to load code onto the board and run it. You can even provide other mechanisms. Anyway, it is a quick way to create documentation that is most important. Interactivity is a bonus.

If it’s so, is that me who suggest the tutorials’ idea or you
pick some and I work on them.

You pick some, I pick some, others in the community pick some. The important aspect is that we provide a useful set of initial tutorials to encourage others to fork and extend your tutorials.

One more thing -It’s is just a suggestion- couldn’t
it be a fully functioning web framework and for bonescript using RoR for example
and build a community around it to let people interact more and share there projects

The framework should not require knowledge of the web framework to create a tutorial. The main idea is to use gist.github.com as a low-touch way to make forks managed by git. People should be able to create an account and fork/create new tutorials without knowing anything about git or web frameworks.

OK, Great! for uploading a big picture issue, is that possible to use
something like S3 instead or every thing should work with gist?

gist is best because it uses ‘git’, which is a fully open protocol well understood by most senior beagleboard.org developers.

Yea, but Diego have mentioned that he was facing some issues when
uploading pictures with big sizes, I’ll try to solve it with gist at first, but just
saying if couldn’t find a solution will S3 be good for it and I think It could be
integrated with jekyll easily as I did it before with RoR, however I’m not sure
it’s completely free. -that’s why I’m asking-

S3 is not free.