GSoC 2018 Project Idea Blocks Editor

Hi,

I am Vaishnav from India, I would like to get suggestion about a project idea that i have in my mind, I would like to develop a blocks editor (similar to MIT’s AppInventor) on top of the BoneScript library and Cloud9 IDE so that BB users without much scripting experience can develop their projects easily and more kids can be encouraged to use BeagleBoards.

Regards

Vaishnav

Can this Idea be merged with this one : Fix bugs in BoneScript ?

http://jadonk.github.io/blockly-bonescript/ I did not see this earlier , I was proposing a similar idea, Can i submit a proposal to build upon this project to include more blocks and cape support? can this be integrated with the project idea : “Fix bugs in Bonescript” , I have worked with Blockly library for a few months to make a Visual Editor to generate Arduino Code for programming the ESP8266-ESP32 SoC. I would like to work on the following improvements to blockly-bonescript :

• In the Math Category , include map(),min() and max() blocks.

• Add shiftOut() function block

• Add attachInterrupt() and detachInterrupt() blocks.

• Add I2C blocks , Add custom blocks for BMP180,DHT11,DHT22,AM2302 Sensors to directly get sensor readings from a single block.

• Custom blocks for Interfacing Servo Motor and ADXL3345 Accelerometer.

• Add direct blocks support for Bacon Cape, Dual Relay + IO Cape and Weather Cape

• Design a better User Interface

http://jadonk.github.io/blockly-bonescript/ I did not see this earlier , I was proposing a similar idea, Can i submit a proposal to build upon this project to include more blocks and cape support? can this be integrated with the project idea : “Fix bugs in Bonescript” , I have worked with Blockly library for a few months to make a Visual Editor to generate Arduino Code for programming the ESP8266-ESP32 SoC. I would like to work on the following improvements to blockly-bonescript :

• Add I2C blocks , Add custom blocks for BMP180,DHT11,DHT22,AM2302 Sensors to directly get sensor readings from a single block.

• Add direct blocks support for Bacon Cape, Dual Relay + IO Cape and Weather Cape

• Design a better User Interface

Mostly seems reasonable, though I’d say the cape need to change.

Unfortunately, we are pretty light on JavaScript/Python mentoring and pretty heavy on kernel/PRU mentorship. This will be competing with PyPRUSS and node-beagle-boot for most usefulness unless we can get some extra JavaScript mentors.

Some more in-line feedback…

These should really be supported using kernel drivers and not using I2C-Dev.

Just make sure to use the kernel driver for the Accelerometer.

See GitHub - beagleboard/capes: Official BeagleBoard.org capes for current beagleboard.org capes. See BaconBits for PocketBeagle in lieu of Bacon Cape.

Thank you so much for the comments and your feedback.It is sad to know that there is not much mentorship available in my proposed field , however do i have a fair chance of being admitted , if i can demonstrate my JS skills by working on any of the present issues in BoneScript and implement some of the suggested features to Blockly-BoneScript?

I was mentioning to provide support for only BMP180 using I2C-Dev and was planning for methods to implement support for DHT11,DHT22 & AM2302.I will proceed as per your suggestion and use corresponding kernel modules(if available or custom) for the sensors.

I read about BaconBits for PocketBeagle , i will surely include description to provide support for BaconBits in my proposal , i believe that a blocks-editor support for it will definitely benefit beginners learning embedded computing with PocketBeagle , with other capes my suggestions are : Robotics Cape(IMU,Barometer,H-bridge Motor Drivers,Servos)Motor Cape(Seeed Studio) ,MISC Cape(Optional),LCD Touch Screen Cape (most popular one).I believe i can finish adding support for BaconBits ,Robotics Cape ,Motor Cape within the timeline and i am not sure if i will be able to provide support for LCD Touch Screen Cape.