GSOC Mentor Summit

The Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit is set for October 23-24 in Mountain View, CA. This is a weekend-long event to help Google evaluate the year’s projects and figure out what to do better next year. Google has some funds to pay for lodging and travel. If you are interested and can plan to be in California that weekend, please let me know. I am going to do my best to be there.

thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I’m considering going there, but I was of the impression, that Google would invite persons specifically? Can everybody apply?

Have you been there previously? Any idea what it’s about – In more detail that what can currently be found on the homepage?

In case I decide to go I will try to make it fit some other arrangements in CA as well, since going for a weekend from Denmark seems like quite a long trip J

Best regards

Søren

This is my first year as a mentor so I haven’t attended in the past. It is my impression that they are still working out details over the next few weeks - the only detail I have found is here:

http://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/2010

with info from past years on that same wiki here:

http://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/Main_Page

I’ll keep in touch with Carol Smith and find out.

Hi Søren,

I found out from Google that we have $2000 in travel money available, with the philosophy being that that would enable two mentors to come at $1000 each. My travel expenses are nowhere near that, as I live within driving distance of Google HQ, so if you want to come to the summit and can find plane fare, I think we can easily work something out.

I don’t know what your work situation is, but since you will be in CA anyway, I should let you know that MontaVista is hiring (http://mvista.com/careers.php). I’d be glad to set up an interview while you are here if you like. I know we have engineers and salesfolks all over the world, including northeastern EU (do you know Klaas van Gend, by any chance?). I imagine Google probably feels the same way. :slight_smile:

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I found out from Google that we have $2000 in travel money available, with the philosophy being
that that would enable two mentors to come at $1000 each. My travel expenses are nowhere near
that, as I live within driving distance of Google HQ, so if you want to come to the summit and
can find plane fare, I think we can easily work something out.

Good news – A trip from Denmark to San Francisco is around 1.000$. In case I could have sponsored part of this I will definitely be happy. In case not, I think I will manage anyway :slight_smile:

Before going too much ahead I would however like to know if somebody else would like to join/represent BeagleBoard instead/as well? Somehow I would find i.e. Jason a better/more official representative, but in case everybody agrees that it’s OK/preferred that Jeff and I represent BeagleBoard at the Google Mentor Summit I will try to plan for it. What does people say? How was this handled last year? What should we i.e. expect from/prepare for the days?

Best regards and thanks
  Søren

I agree with all of Søren’s questions. :slight_smile: I have not been to a mentor summit before either.

Hi alll,

Soren and I are discussing attending the GSOC Mentor Summit in October. We’d like to lock down the limited funds, so if anyone else is interested in attending, please let me know.

thanks

Not me, it's a bit too far to go for a couple of days with a bunch of
geeks I don't know :wink: (at least 16 hours in the air each way plus
all the shit at the airports of which i'm well and truly over).

And all the money probably wouldn't even cover the plane ticket so i'd
probably just do it out of my own pocket anyway and make more of a
trip of it.

Depending on how many people per organization are invited to go,
I might be interested. I am local so there is no travel funds
needed.

I am certain that would be no problem at all.

Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro@jefro.net> writes:

Hi alll,

Soren and I are discussing attending the GSOC Mentor Summit in October.
We'd like to lock down the limited funds, so if anyone else is interested in
attending, please let me know.

I wouldn't mind going, but I'm not sure I'll be available those days.