Having trouble flashing

Hello! I’ve just unboxed my beaglebone blue and followed the introduction to flash it. I downloaded the image AM3358 Debian 10.3 2020-04-06 4GB SD IoT. I downloaded etcher and loaded the downloaded image onto an SD. It says it was successful. I plugged the SD into the BBBL, held down the SD button, and then plugged in the USB micro. The heartbeat LED does the pulse, and the 1, 2, and 3 status LEDs will flash randomly for a few seconds as well. Eventually it settles into the heartbeat flashing, with LED 2 flickering here and there with the occasional (once every ~5 seconds) LED 1 flash. I’ve left it and it’s done this for over an hour and nothing has changed. I’ve read it’s supposed to do the cylon-like sweep and only take ~10 minutes until all the LEDs turn off correct?

I’m using windows as well. I can connect to its wifi and go to 192.168.8.1 and it will register and tell me its connected, but I want to connect via serial. I’ve tried putty as well and it doesn’t register the IP and times out.

any ideas or anyone experience this before? I appreciate it.

Hello! I've just unboxed my beaglebone blue and followed the introduction to flash it. I downloaded the image AM3358 Debian 10.3 2020-04-06 4GB SD IoT. I downloaded etcher and loaded the downloaded image onto an SD. It says it was successful. I plugged the SD into the BBBL, held down the SD button, and then plugged in the USB micro. The heartbeat LED does the pulse, and the 1, 2, and 3 status LEDs will flash randomly for a few seconds as well. Eventually it settles into the heartbeat flashing, with LED 2 flickering here and there with the occasional (once every ~5 seconds) LED 1 flash. I've left it and it's done this for over an hour and nothing has changed. I've read it's supposed to do the cylon-like sweep and only take ~10 minutes until all the LEDs turn off correct?

That image you linked to doesn't "flash" out of the box.. Any image
with teh word "flasher" in it does that..

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2020-04-06/buster-iot/

I'm using windows as well. I can connect to its wifi and go to 192.168.8.1 and it will register and tell me its connected, but I want to connect via serial. I've tried putty as well and it doesn't register the IP and times out.

any ideas or anyone experience this before? I appreciate it.

Which version of Windows? The USB Serial Port should load
automatically in Windows 10 and 8/8.1.. But not Windows 7, as
Microsoft only that specific driver in Windows 8..

Regards,

Presuming the board has a fairly new image in the eMMC, you should not
need to hold down the boot select button. Images for some three years or so
have boot loaders that will detect the SD card and complete booting using
the SD card.

Note that the image you downloaded is NOT a "flasher" image. You've
already had a response pointing to pre-configured flasher images, but for
the future, you can convert regular images to flashers by removing the #
from the bottom of /boot/uEnv.txt. Boot to the SD card (make sure you ARE
on the SD card -- maybe boot without it first and create a junk file in the
login directory; then when you boot the SD card, you should NOT SEE the
junk file when looking at the directory). Run your preferred editor using
"sudo" to edit the bottom of the file.

Robert and Dennis thank you both. There was something I clearly didn’t understand, it flashed and did the cylon thing and the lights went blank like it should.

I unplugged it, took the SD card out, and plugged the power back in. Now the G, R, 75% bat, power, and WIFI LEDs come on and nothing further happens. I can’t see it on wifi and my computer doesn’t recognize it. This is with the SD card in and out.

and I’m on windows 10