hawkboard query

Buy the XM. Better community support. And community support is vital
for open source projects.

I think the hawkboards also have been around for some time and people have managed to get it to work ! There are always edge cases though !

The fair judgement would be to map your requirement to the hardware resource and then suggesting a board would be apt !

beagleboard XM – > Ideal candidate for DSP+ARM with promising speed of 1 GHz : Do you need such speed for your intended work and also it costs more than the hawkboard
hawkboard → Only an ARM core and definitely a good suit for linux begineers and non-dsp apps with lower cost !

–Ram

I think the hawkboards also have been around for some time and people have managed to get it to work ! There are always edge cases though !

That is probably an understatement. The 2nd batch of Hawkboards are seemingly more pain than what it is worth. Personally, I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole. People usually buy these SBC boards to playaround with the software and learn from it, and at the most interfacing with other devices. Component level “pin shorting”, “SMD resistor replacement” is the last thing on one’s mind, to get it to work “sometimes” on a song & a prayer. One only needs to visit the Hawkboard forum at googlegroups to see what folks have to say about this board.

The fair judgement would be to map your requirement to the hardware resource and then suggesting a board would be apt !

beagleboard XM – > Ideal candidate for DSP+ARM with promising speed of 1 GHz : Do you need such speed for your intended work and also it costs more than the hawkboard
hawkboard → Only an ARM core and definitely a good suit for linux begineers and non-dsp apps with lower cost !

Honestly, it as a dev board held terrific promise & value-proposition, had it delivered (beyond the 1st batch) and lived up to the expectations. It’s retail cost was never cheap (was priced as much as, or pretty close to Beagleboard), while the onboard components are way cheaper (compared OMAP L-138 w/ DM3730, and the memories etc.).

I’d be still willing to give it a serious short, if and when Special-Computing releases the new version, as promised by the OMAP L-138 product manager on Hawkboard list. AFAIK, it is yet to see the light of day.