Help with BBB and ssh over usb? - any help getting this to work is appreciated

Hello Everyone

Let me first start by saying I am new to the BeagleBone - but I have tried to research as much as I can on how to get ssh to work over usb and I still am having trouble.

I have a BBB, rev A5B, running off of a 4GB flash with distribution Angstrom Distribution (BeagleBone, BeagleBone Black - 4GB SD) 2013-06-20 using a MacOS 10.8.5

I have installed the drivers
FTDI_Ser.dmg
and run the do_patch.sh

and the HoRNDIS-rel4.pkg

that are on the BeagleBone with you plug it in via the usb cable.

I went to the MacOS system preferences ->Network and updated the connection information to be:

Configure IPv4: Manually
IP Address: 192.168.7.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255 but also tried 255.255.0.0

The Mac says the BeagleBone is connected.

When I try: ssh root@192.168.7.2 I always get ‘ssh: connect to host 192.168.7.2 port 22: Connection refused’

I am able to connect via Ethernet connection.

If you have any suggestions on how to get this to work I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Pat

You don’t need to install the FTDI drivers. The BBB does not have an FTDI device on it. That is BeagleBone White.

Gerald

Thanks Gerald, that is good information that I did not know. However, I am unsure how to take that information and get the Beaglebone Black to connect via SSH over USB.

Do you or does anyone else know how to get BBB to connect via ssh over USB on a Mac?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I will have to defer to other Mac users on this one. You might try searching the forum. This has been discussed in the past amongst other users.

Gerald

Pat,
Odds are good you need to config the Mac with 192.168.7.x where x is NOT 2…eg 192.168.7.1 will be a good value.
By default the BBB config’s the USB as 192.168.7.2, and in your case, both the Mac and BBB share an IP (192.168.7.2) which won’t work.
-Dale