How can I bring my 'bone completely back to as-delivered status?

Arnie:

Simple answer: No.

Although it is possible to have the OS running on the eMMC and an application located on the uSD card, I would highly recommend that you do not try to do it that way. Life will be much easier if you have your application and the OS in the same location.

So, choose either the eMMC or the uSD card as the location for the OS and the (SoftEther VPN Server) application.

Install the OS and get it running.
I highly recommend you have a serial cable on the serial console port for all of this.

SoftEther VPN Server for the ARM is provided as source code, so you will need to make sure you have all the prerequisite tools and files installed, then use the “make” procedure provided with the source code to build the application on the target beaglebone.

It also includes some self tests to make sure the build works and is compatible with the target hardware.

Then you will need to use the command line to start the VPN server.

Then, you will need to use either the Windows or Linux console configuration tools to configure the Server.

It is possible to write a service.d script to automatically start the VPN server whenever the beaglebone boots, but these files are not provided as part of the Softether distribution.

So, I would say that this effort is not for Linux or Beaglebone beginners. You need to have sort of medium Linux skills to pull it off.

It works real well once you get it going. Both the Beaglebone and the SoftEther VPN Server are extremely stable

— Graham

Thanks Graham and William. I am not sure what I did right, but it all seems to be working as I wish at the moment. I flashed the eMMC with Debian Jessie 8.5 and now when I power-up, my Softether VPN server automatically runs from my uSD card.
One newbie question: When I ssh into the BBB, how do I get a list the files that are on the uSD card?
Thanks…Arnie

Arnold:

I know you think you asked a simple question, but I don’t think things are actually working they way you think they are, and it could change the answer.

Where did you get the card?

Is it a copy of something that ran on someone else’s Beaglebone, that already had a compiled version of SoftEther VPN Server on it?

Or, did you actually build/make/compile the copy of SoftEther on the card?

What else is on the card? A Debian OS?

— Graham